I went shopping as well. I would highly recommend to visit the oldest breweries in town Augustinerbräu - Kloster Mülln and Stiegl Brewery Salzburg GmbH (the one near the fort). You won't regret. They have still maintained the traditional beer straight out of wooden barrels and had in ceramic glasses.
Last but not the least, the well acclaimed movie Sound of Music was shot here and the tour which would take half a day is very popular.
From Salzburg, I took a train back to Innsbruk and flew to Amsterdam. There are flights from Salzburg too.
According to me, why would Austria be better than Switzerland any day?
1. You would be seeing the same mountain range - Alps from the other side.
2. Remarkably less tourists which everyone would prefer.
3. The budget falls surprisingly low when compared
4. You also get to visit UNESCO world heritage sites in the same budget and travel across the country
5. You get to be a traveler here and not a tourist.
Switzerland is not any less beautiful by any standards though :) Happy travels!
Frequent searches leading to this page:-
Austria or Switzerland which is better