Ever thought of being a tourist in your own hometown? If not, well you should pack your bags and head to explore your own place. Yes you heard that right! We always tend to go out and travel to places which are either famous or out of our home place. In our quest for traveling to exotic destinations, we often fail to see all that surrounds us.
When was the last time you visited the famous India Gate or the tallest minaret-Qutub minar or did any touristy stuff like eating in the bustling lanes of Chandni Chowk or just hanging out in the central park? Well, if you haven’t then you should definitely try, explore and be a tourist in your own hometown. Even if you are running low on your budget, you can plan a low key vacation with a tour of your own home town.
To help you get started in your quest to explore the best your city has to offer, here are five ways to discover new things close to home:
1. Plan your tour: The first and the foremost thing to be a tourist in your own hometown should be planning. Get out of your routine and get started with your plan. Visit your local tourist office and collect brochures and recommendations as much as possible. Make a schedule and pick your favourite activities to do.
2. Take a city tour: Taking a city tour of your home town is a great way to embark on the tourist trail. Take a heritage walk and discover the history and culture of your hometown and learn firsthand what makes the city you live in so great. You’ll be surprised to discover all that you often took for granted or simply overlooked.
3. Get a room: When touring your hometown, pick a day or two, book a hotel or guesthouse preferably not close to your own home and sleep there. This gives you that travel feels although technically you are still at home.
4. Act like a tourist: When being a tourist in your own hometown, act like one. In this way, you will get a touristy feeling and will get an insight into what’s new- and worth experiencing for you. Chat with people around you and ask some questions about the place which you would like to explore.
5. Take something memorable back with you: Apart from the pictures, the first and the foremost thing that a tourist takes back with him is a souvenir or a little piece of the country/town he visited. Find something unique that will remind you of a special moment of being a tourist in your own hometown. Anytime you look at that thing, great memories of your tour should come rushing down to you.
You can tour in your own hometown. It’s just the way you go about it that differentiates the ordinary person from a tourist. It is only when that you have learned about your own surroundings that you go out there explore other places. Break the shackles and tour.