Himalayas: Home to the highest peaks on the Earth, majestic landscape of mountains, extreme valleys and glaciers and commanded by Mount Everest
They say that you should always challenge yourself… you know… step outside of your comfort zone. And I am definitely one of those people.
I advocate for an expansion of your being.
This list is far beyond stepping out of your comfort zone.
Although I thought I knew everything before I went to Nepal, I was reminded once again that I didn’t know anything.
This is learning to survive.
1. You won’t need to come prepared to trek the Himalayas. You can purchase everything you’ll need in Kathmandu or Luka. (cheaper in Kathmandu)
2. Mt. Everest isn’t the only mountain in the Himalayas – Spoiler Alert!
3. You won’t shower for a few days. Get used to your own smell. ????
4. Baby wipes won’t work after Day 2 of no shower. Purchase stronger wipes.
5. Proper toilets don’t exist the day after you leave Luka or the City of Kathmandu.
6. You’ll learn to be one with nature. (You’ll use the bathroom outdoors if you never have before)
7. You’ll realize that everyone else smells too. – and it’s cool.
8. You’ll sleep in really cold places.
9. Wifi doesn’t exist. If it does, it’s expensive and limited. This is a great opportunity to disconnect.
10. You’ll walk alone a lot. Get to know yourself.
11. You’ll learn that there will be termites and cockroaches in the places you rest your head.
12. You’ll wear your dirty clothes several times before you wash them.
13. It smells like a horse, cow, yack, and human fairness on some days. All at once.
14. Altitude sickness is real – and not fun.
15. The challenge with trekking isn’t just physical it’s also mental.
16. This isn’t a race. When you get to the top (if you get to the top) it’s where you turn to gratitude for giving you the courage and strength to get there. Not a lot of people make it to the top so you will be so proud.
Don’t let this list discourage you from doing, or climbing anything!
I promise you don’t even think of half this stuff when you’re on the journey. Let this list inspire you to believe that you can get through it.
Along with this journey, so much more will happen. So many beautiful things you can’t even begin to think of!
Walking alone at 16,000ft with complete silence and your phone not blowing up is priceless.
You’re too focused on breathing and listening to your body to even think twice about anything else. You are on survival mode, and you may be amazed at how alive you truly feel.
Chances are by the end of it, you’ll look back laughing, smiling, and crying all at once because you accomplished something that not only took physical strength but way more mental grit! It’s one of those things that tear you apart and build you back up as a new, re-charged human being. This trip WILL CHANGE YOU.