Delhi, the capital of India has attracted many tourists in recent years. It is considered to be one of the most developed cities in the country till date with the metro lines and the maintenance of historical places. The city is a blend of all types of people from different racial backgrounds and various parts of India such as Mumbai to Delhi, Tamil Nadu to Delhi, Goa to Delhi and so on. Along with being well connected to majority of cities in India, travel to the capital is quick and inexpensive.
Here are a few facts of Delhi, we bet you didn’t know:
1. Delhi became the capital of India in 1931.
2. The Qutub Minar is the world’s tallest brick minaret.
3. The wholesale market of Azadpur is Asia’s largest fruits and vegetable, market with a supply of more than 2000 trucks of fruits and vegetables.
4. The capital city is currently walled by five gates which are the Kashmiri Gate, the Ajmeri Gate, the Delhi Gate, the Lahori Gate and the Turkman Gate.
5. In spite of all the pollution we read about in the news, Delhi is ranked amongst the top green cities in the world.
6. Delhi is the second bird-rich capital in the world after Nairobi which adds to the eco-friendly nature of the city.
7. The 2010 Common Wealth Games held in Delhi were reported to be the largest of all Common Wealth Games till date.
8. The Jama Masjid is the largest mosque in India.
9. The Lotus Temple in Delhi of Bahai community is the only architecture of Bahai faith in entire Asia.
Along with exploring the capital city on a deeper level, you can also visit the vibrant food outlets and enjoy the local cuisines. Winter is the best time to visit Delhi and experience the city at its best!
If you are planning a trip in the future, you should book air tickets well in advance for inexpensive flights and the best choice from a variety of airlines.