Delights Of Delhi
Delhi has something for everyone! Whether you’re a history-buff, architectural enthusiast, culture connoisseur, mythology zealot, art lover, vintage fanatic, museum aficionado or a foodie, or a parent who wants his or her children to learn and have fun; you’ll never run short of things to do in Delhi.
Delhi has a lot to offer its visitors viz. Purani Dilli, historic monuments, national museums, lush green gardens, wide streets with trees, havelis, farm houses and the list goes on.
Here's my must-see list for Delhi. You can choose places according to your taste and preference.
Must-Visit For History Buffs And Architectural Enthusiasts -
1. Gates of Delhi - India Gate, Turkman Gate, Khooni Darwaza or Kabuli Darwaza, Kashmere Gate, Ajmeri Gate, Mori Gate, Lahore Gate, Delhi Gate
2. Lal Quila (Red Fort)
3. Salimgarh Fort
4. Fatehpuri Mosque
5. Tomb of Razia Sultan
6. Mirza Ghalib Haveli - When somebody asked Ghalib for his postal address, he cut him down to size: "Asadullah Ghalib, Delhi kafi hoga" (Asadullah Ghalib, Delhi, will be enough.)
7. Agrasen ki Baoli or Ugrasen ki Baoli
8. Raj Ghat - It is the cremation site of Mahatma Gandhi.
9. Humayun’s Tomb - It's speculated to have inspired the Taj Mahal.
10. Purana Qila - It is the oldest fort in the city that narrates the history of Dilli in details.
11. Qila-i-Kuhna Mosque - It's inside the premises of Purana Qila.
12. Sher Shah Gate, and the remains of the fort of Sher Shah Suri - It is right opposite the grand remains of Purana Qila.
13. Khairul Manzil - It is a mosque opposite Purana Qila.
14. Bāġ-e Bīdel (Garden of Bīdel) - This complex has two graves, one that of the 17th century poet Abdul-Qādir Bīdel and other one of Sufi Saint Malik Yaar Paran.
15. Lodhi Gardens - contains Mohammed Shah's Tomb, Tomb of Sikandar Lodi, Shisha Gumbad , Bara Gumbad and Athpula Bridge.
16. Feroz Shah Kotla Fort - It encompasses Jami Masjid, Minar-e-Zarreen, Ashokan Pillar, Baoli and it's also known to be the abode of the djinns.
17. The Hauz Khas Archaeological Complex ( Tughlaq Monuments)
18. Chor Minar
19. R.K.Puram Heritage Trail includes visit to Wazirpur Monument Complex, Bijri Khan’s Tomb, Munda Gumbad.
20. Ashokan Rock Edict and Park
21. Safdarjung's Tomb - It has many small pavilions like Jangli Mahal, Moti Mahal and Badshah Pasand and has a garden.
22. Mehrauli Archaeological Park is adorned with ancient tombs and monuments viz. Rajon Ki Baoli, Jamali Kamali Mosque and Tomb, Dargah of Qutb-ud-din Bakhtiyar Kaki(Qutb Sahib), Tomb of Balban, Tomb of the Sufi poet Jamali, Tomb of Adham Khan, Zafar Mahal and Jahaz Mahal.
23. Qutub Complex is studded with ancient architectural ruins named Alai Darwaza, Alai Minar, Alauddin's Tomb & Madrasa Complex, ltutmish's Tomb, Imam Zamin's Tomb, Iron Pillar, Mughal Serai, Qutb Minar, Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque, Sanderson's Sundial, Smith's Folly, Tarikh-ul-Islam Mosque.
24. Jahanpanah embraces ancient ruins named Khirki Masjid, Bijay Mandal, Quila Rai Pithora, Kalusarai Masjid, Serai Shaji Mahal, Satpula, Begumpur Masjid.
25. Tughlaqabad - Adilabad - Nai-ka-Kot Fortress Complex
26. Siri Fort
27. Rashtrapati Bhavan
28. Parliament House
29. Lotus Temple