I spent 5 days in the Tawang in May, 2015. I spent a day in Bomdila on the way to Tawang from Guwahati, and a day in Dirang on the way back. I have re-arranged the stops to create this itinerary, in which I suggest visiting Dirang first and stopping at Bomdila on the way back.
Guwahati > Bhalukpong > Dirang > Tawang > Bomdila > Guwahati
- Inner Line Permits (ILP) for entering Arunachal Pradesh can be applied for at Arunachal House in Guwahati. Finding it could be a challenge. Get down at Rukminigaon bus stop and ask around for Mansa Mandir.
- Starting from Guwahati, it will easily get past 3 pm before you reach Dirang. Stay at New Dirang if you don’t have a tent.
- Try to get into a shared sumo if you are solo. Visit Penga Teng Tso on the way to Sangetsar Lake to avoid missing it due to fog on the way back.
- Make sure to always have something to eat in your room. The Old Market in Tawang closes unexpectedly if there is a death in town. Try Nehru Market which is usually open.
- If you plan to eat at Dragon restaurant make sure they are staffed to serve you beforehand.
Transit times & approximate fares (INR):
- Guwahati to Bomdila: 9 hours (Bus), 350
- Bomdila to Tawang: 8 hours (Sumo Taxi), 500
- Tawang to Sungetsar Lake: 3 hours (Sumo Taxi), 3000 per taxi
- Tawang to Dirang: 6 hours (Sumo Taxi), 500
- Dirang to Tezpur: 6 hours (Sumo Taxi), 450
- Tezpur to Guwahati: 4 hours (Bus), 130
Average expenditure (budget to mid-range) on food and stay (INR per day):
- @Dirang: Food – 200, Stay – 350
- @Tawang: Food – 300, Stay – 400
- @Bomdila: Food – 250, Stay – 300