Bali is tropical , green and lush. It is not only home to beautiful beaches ,sunset cocktails (though I LOVE those too), rolling rice paddies, lakes, and mountains but also to stunning waterfalls. Yes Bali has some of the most amazing waterfalls I have ever seen in my life. And from my own experience I can say that each one of those waterfalls will inspire your jaws to drop in awe. Imagine cool, lush green paradises where the force and beauty of nature is bound to impress and enchant you. Places to swim in cool, refreshing water, surrounded by the tropical rain-forest. Your trip to Bali is not complete without visiting at least some of the island’s waterfalls. While of-course on my recent trip to Bali I could not see all of them , but here is my guide that will cover most of them. I have named it Bali Waterfall Route - A complete travel guide.
Important Tips :
1) Some of the waterfalls are easy to drive to but many others are not. If you are in time crunch like me , I will highly advice to hire a car and a driver. This will make your life soooo easy.
2) You must carry cash. Most of the waterfalls have an entry fees and parking fees and you are expected to pay in cash.
3) Reaching waterfalls like NungNung ,Skempul etc is hard work. It requires rigorous hike and involves lot of stairs( you will see in the details below ;)) , so come prepared.
4) You will need good pair of shoes and a lot of water since it is not easy to reach to the waterfallS.
5) None of the waterfalls are wheelchair accessible.
6) If you are into photography , make sure your camera gear is waterproof or weatherproof. Most of the waterfalls generate a lot of spray and it gets really humid on hike down. Also for long exposure shots , you will have to carry tripod.
7) If you plan to drive yourself , download offline maps. You will hardly find any cellphone reception in interiors.
8) As you go towards Nothern Bali ( where you will find most of the waterfalls) , weather gets a little unpredictable. It rained couple of times while we were hiking down the waterfalls. So bring a poncho or umbrella.
9) If you really want to enjoy Bali waterfalls , you have to take dip in the natural pools. Carry spare clothes :)
10) Lastly, if you want the whole waterfall to yourself - reach early. I can bet in later part of the day you will not be the only one :) . And at times you will have to be in line to get your fav shot.