I am always excited to do road trips, this could be by bike or car or by transport. One of them is all time favorite for most of us is Biking.
Recently I did a long road trip to the heavens, which on the Indian map known as Himalaya. I visited J&K (now J&K and Ladakh) in June-19 time. It was my dream trip I was planning for almost from last half a decade. I have written about it on this platform you can checkout it here. I had done these kind of road trip earlier as well so I have kind of experience and idea what necessary gadgets are required for these kind of expeditions.
Even though if you are thinking of doing a budget trip still you should not ignore getting this stuff as these are must required. Consider this as a investment for your own safety which is going to avoid further problems you are going to face in your expedition.
There is a list of necessary items in my opinion are necessary and you should carry them with you for road trips in Himalaya:
1. Bikers kit: Helmet, jacket, gloves , guards, heavy leather shoes(woodland/red chief). Also take one rubber shoes or Rubber Toe Gumboots these are required when you are going to ride off roads in muddy roads or on roads having snow.
2. Bike Carriage: It will be good if your bike has carriages to hang your luggage on it so that you can ride freely. As extra cautious thing carry petrol storage with you. It is actually wont be required but if you met with some bad luck and the fuel stations in the valley is not running with some issue then you are in big trouble.
3. Winter and Rain Apparel: On bike you need to be prepared for taking over on bad weather conditions. This could be rain, storm or sunlight. For this we should carry rain suite, caps, body warmers, Jackets, Caps. Mainly gloves and Bike Ride Face Mask usable for cold. You can find them very much helpful when you are at high altitude and in the areas where temperature is less than 2. In such conditions you will start feel fainting of your body part which is not protected and is open. Like if you are not wearing gloves then your fingers will start fainting in no time.
4. UV protection bikers goggles: This is must for whole ride from highway with temperature more than 40 degrees to the Himalaya with temperature 0 degree. This will save your eyes from the cold/hot wind and from sunlight.
5. Food and Medicines: Its better to carry some dry fruits and dates like food which will recharge you immediately and easily digestible in all conditions. If you have any other options then take them as well. This might not required but keep them. Keep first aid kit with you always and pray that you actually don't get this required. Keep other recommended medicines in that region, it will be great if you not took them but keep it with you as a safety.
7. Planning and scheduling: Be well planned for the trip before starting it. Be aware of zones and the locality where you are going to stay and plan your journey of that day accordingly. Take enough information of road status, traveling time required to reach particular destination and the options of stay available. Try to avoid driving in the nights because it could be dangerous if you got hit by a breakdown or something that leads to put break on your ride. Before starting the ride you must calculate each and every stops and approximate time estimates keeping buffer time in it so you will reach to next destination in time.
6. Access permissions, ID's and Permits: visiting tourist spots might need some permits and registration. Anytime visiting/exploring new place check it out if it has required any permits and is there any known time restrictions to visit place. If so then do that earliest and not do it at last moment which might cost you more but might disturb your plan further. Now days at most of the places you need to show government ID proofs for verification so always keep them with you.
Other than all of this, it is better if you are doing regular physical exercise. This habit keeps you fresh throughout travel and don't feel tired in the journey and have great fun. You are suppose to be always motivated and positive in mind. Lack of confidence or negative thoughts in mind can trigger sickness.
Obey traffic rules and be gentle on the ride. Ride safe !!!!!!