Once you're back onboard, you can either chill and relax in the lounge or head outside to catch the spectacular sunset with gorgeous hues on the horizon. It is an absolute delight to be onboard an icebreaker cruise and head back towards the shore with an absolutely stunning scenery to bid you adieu.
Now, on how to book this cruise!
You can log on to their official website: Kemi Icebreaker Sampo and book the tour at your convenient date and time or you can also send an email to email@example.com
The Sampo Icebreaker makes three tours per day, each offering a unique ambience of the surroundings. The duration of all the cruise is 4 hours.
* The morning cruise(8.00 am to 12.00 pm) enables you to enjoy the Arctic Sunrise with delicious breakfast onboard. You will have to pay an additional charge for a luxury breakfast.
* The afternoon cruise(1.00 pm to 5.00 pm) which is referred to as the blue moment cruise is the one I decided to take since I was landing in Kemi only around 10.00 am in the morning. The afternoon cruise lets you enjoy a unique combination of light hours on the frozen sea or a twilight atmosphere only in the month of December. This cruise includes a soup lunch and a bread basket. You will have to pay an additional charge for a three-course lunch.
* The evening cruise(6.00 pm to 10.00 pm) is referred to as the Aurora cruise wherein you'll get to see the northern lights if you're lucky. But I wouldn't recommend this cruise since you will not enjoy watching the ice break in the dark. All you can do is only hear the breaking of the ice and wait for the Aurora to show up. There is no guarantee of Aurora showing up each and every night of the year. This cruise includes a soup dinner and a bread basket. You will have to pay an additional charge for a three-course dinner.
Prices for the Cruise
* The Sampo Icebreaker cruise costs €376 per person. This includes breakfast/ soup lunch or soup dinner according to the timing of the cruise selected, polar plunge experience and return journey on the cruise ship.
* The additional charge is €30 per person for the three-course food menu.
* You can combine the blue moment cruise with snowmobile safari too for an additional charge where you'll get an opportunity to ride a snowmobile on the frozen sea.
Here are a few tips
* Be sure to book this activity as soon as possible since the cruise tickets get sold months in advance.
* Dress in warm layers for cruising so as to enjoy the experience because the Arctic air can get very very chilly.
* Make sure you white balance your camera.
* They offer free return transfers to the Kemi railway station and also the Snow Castle Hotel in Kemi
* Kemi is a 2-3 hours train journey from Rovaniemi. You can easily do a day trip to Kemi for this cruise or stay overnight in Kemi and visit the Snow Castle the following day.