Road Conditions (Nov-2018):
1. Kalyan - Ahmednagar highway is 2 lane but is in excellent condition, except few very small stretches where some construction work was going on. Upon approaching Ahmednagar you will see the board of the bypass road, which meets Pune-Aurangabad highway. This is basically to avoid the city traffic. But the bypass should be avoided at any rate, as most part of it was nothing but crushed stones & dirt and that also not leveled.
2. Ahmednagar-Aurangabad is basically Pune-Aurangabad highway and is 4 lane and is in good condition.
3. Aurangabad - Ellora road is again 2 lane but is in excellent condition.
4. Aurangabad - Ajanta road is a 2 lane road and as the work to convert it into 4 lane is going on, there are plenty of bad patches.
5. Aurangabad - Jalna - Lonar is a state highway which is 4 lane till Jalna and 2 lane after that, roads are in decent condition overall. Also there are more than one way to reach Lonar from Jalna, the state buses take longer routes usually, if you take your own vehicle you can reduce 15-20 KMs one way.
What would we do differently?
- Avoid the Bypass Road in Ahmednagar
- Take the public transport to Ajanta (a rest day for the rider) and instead ride to Lonar
- Spend more time (atleast one full evening) riding or walking around exploring Aurangabad mostly for its local cuisine and sights.