Here are some tips if you are planning a ride a leh:
1. Always start your ride early morning and try to reach your destination by 3-4 pm. You will be witness to the the most beautiful scenes and sunsets of a lifetime.
2. Never rush through any tricky section of the road. If you are stuck somewhere, take help from locals and army. (Army and locals are really helpful there)
3. Try staying at guests houses, tents and home stays to learn about the cultural of Leh. People in Leh and around are so humble and helpful that an experience with them will definitely have an impact on you.
4. The route from Pangong to Tso Moriri needs special permit from DC office in Leh.
5. Wear protective riding gear (Jacket, Pants, Gloves and boots). I know I sound like a teacher, but this is necessary and has saved many lives.
6. Carry a chain lubricant and an air pump with you. Do check your tyre pressure and lubricate your chain every morning before starting the ride. Get your bike checked at every service station you come across—this’ll help you to improve your ride and riding capacity.
7. Keep a lot of Diamox with you. It’s a medicine for altitude sickness. Take it daily twice (one hour before you ride and before sleeping) to avoid altitude sickness. This medication can decrease headache, tiredness, nausea, dizziness, and shortness of breath that can occur when you climb quickly to high altitudes.
8. Drink lots of water and eat lots of energy bars. Avoid drinking plain water, hydrate yourself with glucose drinks or Gatorade.
9. Always carry extra petrol and cash. The average cost including stay, food and petrol is 30K – 35K per person.
10. Update your Music Library with your favorite tracks and carry portable charger, portable speakers and a torch.