Budapest is one of the most popular places on the Europe backpacking route. It is a fun city, and you can plan 3 day stay here.
STAY: Maverick’s hostel and Ensuites (Booking through www.hostelworld.com)
The hostel is near the city center, the rooms are clean and nicely done, with a functional kitchen. The hostel is in a heritage building with super cool massive gates. The Staff is good, they arrange movie nights on Thursdays. Also if you want to book any tours you can check with the hostel reception.
Things to do in Budapest-
1. All the touristy spots- The St. Bascillica church, Chain bridge, Budapest palace, Fisherman’s Batison, you can take the hop on and off pass(walking all day will drain you)
2. Eat the rose shaped Gelato near the church
3. Go to a ruin bar pub crawl (or not) -Ours was pretty sad, we left mid-way. Better to check out the ruin bars on your own.
4. Schenyeni Thermal bath (oh this was so much fun!) this is the best bath in city, with outdoor as well as indoor thermal pools
5. Caving in Budapest- MUST DO
Budapest has massive underground cave network. The caving tour is done on outskirts. It is almost 2 hours tour, any fit person can do it, unless you are claustrophobic.
6. Eat the chimney Cake (or not- didn’t find anything great about it)
7. Don’t eat the pizza in Budapest- disliked all we tried, you can try the Goulash (if you eat beef, it is Hungarian special)
8. Souvenir shopping ( also don’t forget to grab some free postcards on the Airport at the city bus counter)
9. Danube Boat ride- some of the hop on hop off packages give you boat ride too, it is good if you have time. Also the parliament building looks stunning from river side.
10. Visit the Margaret island- this is a stop on Danube river cruise, locals mostly come here for a jog, it is a tiny island with good view of the city. However be sure to catch the ferry back, otherwise there is nothing to do here.
11. Have lots of Fun!
Happy Travelling 😊