There are three kinds of trip in the world. The first one is where you toil hard to prepare for it- Airline tickets, hotel, cab places to see etc. In the second kind you just start impromptu at some random day, some random place. And there is the third kind where all the hard work is done by your friend/friends and you are just sitting back and chilling in the whole trip; even cursing them for the shortcomings of the trip or how they could have done things better if your friends are really nice,
Well this trip was the third kind when one random day in April I got a call from my friend ( “really nice” one) asking to book flight tickets for a trip in July. I thought “July is too far, will plan rest all things around this trip” and told to book tickets for me too. Hence the solid foundation of the trip was laid. I would call it solid because you do anything not to cancel a flight ticket because you end up losing the whole amount against the train tickets where you lose some and get back the maximum amount.
Like the earlier articles, I am basing this one on the various observations, feelings, ideas I had on different times
1) Kathahal ( Jackfruit) – To give you some context about my connection with this fruit or rather a vegetable for me. So traditionally in my home it is made as a vegetable when the fruit is raw in iron dishes which gives it a distinct flavor and color. Also it is not available throughout the year in the places that I was brought up in. Mostly I associate this dish with my visit to my grandparent’s house where it was definitely made at least once. A dish is also made out of the seeds of the raw jackfruit.
In Kerala, every second or third tree is jackfruit. Also the consumption of fruit or vegetables also does not seem to be much. Every tree had at least 5-10 fruits hanging and each of them weigh at least 7-10 kgs. The fruit was so abundant that there were many sites where is was rotting below the tree. Every time I saw such a tree, I wished for a good supply chain system with good infrastructure, roads, and transport system to match supply and demand, to make sure that the bountiful produce of this fruit is available in all parts of country.
Also I wondered the immense amount of business opportunity to set up a food processing industry. Currently the fruit grown here is used for making chips, but making pickles etc could be a boost for the locals. Also it should be a cottage industry where the women of the place benefit. And food processing industry makes sense for not only Kerala, but the rest of country as well.
2) Massage- It is something not to be missed at any cost. The most relaxing thing that could happen on the trip. And while I was under the treatment, I was so inspired that I had a B-Plan- To open a nationwide chain of massage centers. I even had a name for it “Kerala Massage Center”. It was so therapeutic, stress relieving, natural and refreshing that it would be serving the humanity to give them this treatment at prices for which maximum people in the country can afford. It is things like these and yoga on which the government, society should be spending their important resources on.
3) Silver Woods- This resort was the reason; the inspiration for my friend to book tickets and it was totally worth it. The resort was built around a small lake. The rooms, the hotel lobby, lake view from the balcony were very scenic. It inspired me to drop everything in my life and live in a scenic place like this resort.
4) Language- It would have been a little problem for us, If we didn’t have a Malyali speaking friend with us. For all conversations with local people, she was pushed forward. She worked as a translator for us. The problem comes when in some rural areas people don’t even understand English, and if you talk in Hindi, they would give you a mysterious smile. People were very professional and punctual.
5) Solo trips Vs Group Trips- I have had both kinds of trips. Group trips are difficult to organize and the choice of destination might also not be your first choice, but they are definitely more fun than travelling solo. The range of discussions could be as different reservation system Vs Vyapam Scam to the ending of film Inkaar or Life before and after marriage.
P.S: I have deliberately used the Hindi word for Jackfruit and Banana & misspelled Cardomam and Coffee to rhyme with them J
We all have ideas to improve things around us, what matters is the result, execution of those ideas.