For many people, a holiday means, fancy hotels, fancy meals, luxury tours, fancy cars, great clothes and fabulous shopping. And with all these thoughts the cost of the trip overwhelms you, and you decide to stay home instead of adding knowledge, experiences, and learning!
If that is the idea of a holiday then why go anywhere, can you not do it within your own city. So next time you think of a holiday, decide to compromise on a few things and you would be on your holiday in no time.
Here's my recent trip to Srilanka for 10 days which cost me 13000/-, and a mind full of memories and heart full of new friends and loving.
- I can sit in an Air India Express, with no fancy waitresses, but a full meal for breakfast for an hour and get to Colombo for Rs. 6800/-.
- Colombo Airport to Colombo city by taxi would cost me 1000/- but i chose to take the bus for 65/-. A jolly good ride with a German Pilot on his own holiday.
- Colombo to my Destination Hikkaduwa is a good 4000/- by taxi, but in a bus with no Air con, but cool wind blowing my face, and a view of the beautiful ocean from my seat, got me to that destination for 160/-.
- You can chose to live in fancy hotels that would cost you 5000/- a night, and spend your entire day by the beach , or sightseeing, or snorkeling and use the room only to rest in the night. Or, you could choose a room that cost 350/- in a hostel, bang on the beach, with 60 fellow tourists to sit and chat with, drink with and share stories with. (The ones in five star hotels dont chat to fellow tourists or they are in their rooms) This part of my travels to me is the most educative, enlightening and enjoyable part. I have never met more interesting people anywhere else other than these small budgeted hostels.
- You could meet people of various interests, you could karoake to music by a tourists with a guitar, or you can join a group of people playing cards on a table... No inhibitions, no judgments and loads of laughter.
- You can eat in local restaurants for 150/- or you could go for a grand meal for 1500/-. Choice is of essence here.
- FOCUS on your budget, NEVER shop for unwanted stuff, and stick by a plan... Every destination then will be a reality.
- At the end of it, when you know you still got some money to splurge, treat yourself to a bottle of champagne! Cheers!