Extra Tips ( and yes some of them are money saving tips ;) ) :
1) If you do not mind sharing rooms , try for hostels over hotels as they are cheaper.
2) If you plan to do hiking , campsites are cheaper than refugios.
3) Bring your own camping gear . Even renting in Chile or Argentina is expensive.
4) If you plan to do road trip , beware that gas is very expensive .Not many car renting companies will allow you to rent car from Chile and return it in Argentina. If they do allow , it is super expensive.
5) Most of the restaurants close by 8 or 9 pm in Chile , so it is advisable to keep a local schedule of restaurants with you.
6) Chile is relatively cheaper than Argentina. So if you are visiting Argentina from Chile , stock up your essentials in Chile and avoid buying stuff in Argentina.
7) Wine and coffee are the two things to die for in Chile and Argentina. Buy it from local stores than duty free.
8) Flights from Santiago to Punta Arenas get booked pretty fast and last moment tickets end up being very very expensive. There is no way you can avoid it , unless you book sooner than later.