Pushkar is one of my all time favorite places to visit in Rajasthan. Pushkar felt different.
I instantly fall for places that have a good feeling and make me feel relaxed and Pushkar ticked all the boxes on that front.
It’s a relatively small place and so you don’t really need a strict itinerary here, you can just go with the flow and discover Pushkar’s amazing hospitality for yourself!
This is one of the oldest cities in India, and one of the holiest on the planet. Pushkar is a beautiful small city, situated around a sacred lake, and has long been a major pilgrimage destination for Hindus.
It’s believed that Pushkar was created when Brahma (the creator of the universe) triumphed over a demon using only a lotus flower. After the battle, the lotus flower fell to the ground, creating Pushkar Lake. To this day, Pushkar remains an important Hindu pilgrimage spot,
and devout followers attempt to visit at least once in their lifetime.
India is popular with Israeli travelers, and Pushkar is firmly on the Hummus Trail. What that means is that wherever you go in India, there’ll be delicious hummus and falafel to snack on. I loved it! Pushkar, in particular, has plenty of falafel vendors on the streets, serving up delicious options for those who fancy a break from curry.
While you’re in town, make sure to eat at at least one rooftop restaurant. Pushkar is known for having a wealth of eateries overlooking Pushkar Lake, and they make for beautiful views at any time of the day.
Few things to be noted:
- Pushkar is a Great Place for Vegan Restaurants in India.
- Restaurants in Pushkar don’t serve meat and eggs, but dairy is still everywhere.
- Alcohol is also banned in Pushkar, as the Indian government won’t provide bar licenses close to areas of religious importance. You can definitely still find it if you’re keen — it’s available at many restaurants if you ask for it — but for the most part, this is a dry town.
Things to do around
- Hike to Savitri Temple at Sunrise or Sunset
- Visit to Brahma Temple
- To experience Holi of Pushkar
- Pushkar Has One of the Best Shopping Experiences in Rajasthan
- To Check Out the Magical Evening Aarti
- Got to Head to Pushkar Lake for Sunset