Going out with friends or just the two of you alone for the long weekend is always fun. We went to BKK and PTY for the long weekend in the month of Aug. It was a small 3N/4D budget trip from Bombay (India) to Bangkok which was a combination of spending time with friends, exploring the usual and some unusual places. The tour included the BKK City & Temple Tour, The Chaophraya River Cruise & The Coral Island Tour which comes with the package anyways, however, what made the tour special was exploring "not included in the package" Khao San Rd for its yummy Phad Thai on the street (Both Veg & N-Veg), The Exotic Fruit Plate including the Dragon Fruit and Singha Beer. The specaility of Phad Thai is, it is easy on the stomach as it is not spicy and gets digested quickly. We recommend it very strongly if you enjoy having street food.
As far shopping, we would recommend the Indra Market at Ratchaprarop Rd, Nr Ratchaprarop SkyTrain Stn, Opp. Hotel Bayoke Sky. The second market that we explored was the Weekend Market of Chatuchak (pronounced as Jatujak). This market is open only on Saturdays and Sundays. Plz wear your best Sports or Walking Shoes as your feet need to be comfortable given the fact that it is spread for 35acres with 27 sections and more than 8000 shops. In true sense Chatuchak Market is "Shop Till You Drop". There are thai foot massage facility available at the market, which can be availed for 200Baht to 400Baht. Another suggestion that we would like to give is that bargaining happens a lot at these markets, however, they don't appreciate you bargaining for a product and then not buy it. Our suggestion is, bargain for the products only if you are sure to buy them. They have no problem with window shoppers.
The last thing that made this trip special was the "Siam Niramit Show". People only go to see the Alcazar Show, however, we would recommend the Siam Niramit show as against the Alcazar. The Siam Niramit Show is divided into 3 sections, each beautifully depicted. Section I is the History of Siam, Section II is about the three worlds; Hell & Himapaan (Forest between earthly realm &heaven) and Heaven and the final section is Journey Thru Joyous Festivals. Siam Niramit is a show which cannot be put into words, it has to be experienced.
Few Tips for more fun:
1) Making the tour of 4N/5D is better than 3N/4D. A day extra gives you a free time to shop or explore places on your own
2) Choose a hotel which is in the city. It would be little expensive, however, you will save on the travel time from going from one place to another.
3) Carry an umbrella if you are going in the month of August, coz the rains are unpredictable and once starts it pours heavily for 1/2 hr to 1hr or so
4) If you are a tea or coffee drinker and need a hot cuppa, plz specify. Coz if you ask for the beverage you by default get a cold one
5) Don't get fleeced by the Tuktuks. They are exhorbitantly priced for fooling the tourists. If you just wanna have a ride for the fun of it, then its fine. Otherwise use either the vehicle provided to you or the Sky Train (Mono/Metro)
All in all it was a wonderful trip and the memory is still fresh in our minds