Saving the environment, one step at a time!
The owners of the Birdcage are also making efforts in the right direction to reduce their carbon footprint with the many environmentally-friendly initiatives that dot the property. Few initiatives are:
• Rainwater Harvesting: A 40,000 litres rainwater storage system in their backyard works hard towards collecting, storing and recycling this water so that it can be used judiciously for gardening and other external requirements around the property.
• Solar Power: Solar water heating plants send hot water to the bathrooms in the rooms, but there is an electric backup for snowy days.
• Organic Kitchen Garden: The Birdcage has a small organic kitchen garden that is used to grow vegetables and herbs. They also source a lot of organic produce from nearby farms and orchards, making sure everything you eat is truly, farm fresh!
• Minimum Use of Plastic: Since plastic is a non-biodegradable substance, they try to use as little of it as possible and also encourage you to do the same.
Things to do around the Birdcage:
1. Visit the Mukteshwar Temple
The Mukteshwar Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. After climbing a series of steep stairs, you reach the sanctum that is surrounded by idols of Vishnu, Brahma, Ganesh, Parvati, Hanuman and Nandi. It is a vital place of worship for Hindus.
Distance from the Birdcage: 7.5 km (20 mins)
2. Go for a trek and breathe in the fresh mountain air!
According to your expertise and stamina, you can choose to trek an easy or moderate trail here. Most of them do not require any professional guidance, but all of them offer a refreshing experience. Some popular trails are from Binsar to Artola, Peora to Almora and Peora to Mukteshwar.
3. Pick a souvenir from Kilmora Shop
From hand-woven and hand-knitted textiles to apricot skin care products and organically grown culinary herbs, you will find everything here!
Where: Sitla Village (near Mukteshwar, Nainital district, Uttarakhand)
The Birdcage is located in Leti Bunga, Village Shasbani in Mukteshwar area of Nainital district in Uttarakhand.
To get to here, you need to first reach Bhatelia Market. Once at Bhatelia, you will hit a fork on the road, take the one on your right heading towards Dhanachuli. Drive down this road for approximately 200 meters till you hit a dirt track climbing upwards on the left. Drive up this road for approximately 100 meters and you will see the Birdcage on your right.