The concept here is very simple a prostitute is behind a window to impress you, if you’re interested – knock on the window, approach and negotiate all the terms before the final deal. The windows that are covered with curtains signify the meaning for itself, doesn’t it? In progress…. You may also notice a blue light instead of a red one, this signifies that the person behind the window is a transgender or transvestite. Usually it costs around €50 for 15-20 minutes of pleasure, but this can vary as per different individuals.
Not going to lie, I was looking forward to visit the RLD area and it was in my bucket list experiences. When I first entered the red lit narrow lanes, I decided to keep my judgmental views aside and went ahead with a mindset of having an experience to remember. It was honestly very amusing to actually see women of different shapes and sizes dressed in sexy lingerie to captivate the customers (nurses, police women, cats and bunnies). On one side I was watching the tour groups around this area and on the other side the actual customers who were negating with the customers. It was an experience filled with entertainment and a little embarrassment.
Some key tips to acknowledge when visiting the infamous RLD area:
1. Be very careful about your belongings as many pick pockets are around this area. Make sure all your valuable belongings are kept safely in your hotel/hostel. If you have anything valuable make sure its in a secured pocket where it’d be tough to steal. Also, preferably carry a card and minimal Euros to be safer.
2. The safest way to roam around the red-lit windows is to take a guided tour here. If you don’t have a budget for it, then tag along behind people taking tours (we did this).
3. Do not stare at the prostitutes or make cheap gestures. They are just doing their job and its important to respect them.
4. Do not talk to them unnecessarily and waste their time if you aren’t interested at all. This can make the bodyguards very furious.
5. Don’t take photos of the prostitutes from outside of their doors or even inside (if you plan to). This is strictly forbidden and you could end up in trouble.
6. If you plan on using the services, negotiate and agree on what exactly you're paying for and how much you are going to pay otherwise don't be surprised to pay extra for assumed services.
7. Don’t buy drugs from dealers on the streets (there is no surety of what’s being sold to you).
8. Don’t stare at any stranger here as many creepy people can be around this area. If a stranger approaches to talk to you – JUST IGNORE AND WALK FORWARD.