Separate seating arrangements are made for Indian nationals and foreigners. Other than the space for general public, there is also a VIP seating area, the main advantage being able to witness the ceremony clearly from a closer distance.
VIP pass should be taken in advance and is available at Gate No: 3, en route the Wagah Border. It is on the lefthand side of the road and chances are, you'll not miss this gigantic hoarding. Remember to collect the pass early in the morning, say 10 am because the list of VIP visitors is prepared and sent to the border before the ceremony commences.
If you couldn't get hold of a VIP pass, fret not. The crowd at the VIP area is less enthusiastic, to say the least. It is better to sit with the general public to enjoy and make the most of the event.
- Wagah Border Ticket Price: Nil
- Wagah Border Ceremony Timings: The ceremony starts at 4.30pm in winters (5.30pm in summers) and is for 45 minutes. But reach the venue by 3, at the least so that you can find a decent seat.
- You’ll have to walk for about a kilometer from the parking area.
- Mobile networks are jammed.
- Leave your backpacks in the car or in your hotel. You are allowed to take the camera alone, that is, without the bag. You can carry an umbrella and/or jackets depending on the weather.
- Snack vendors, people ready to paint your face with the tricolor flag and those selling souvenirs in the form of caps and flags are all along the way.