Taking a break from life is a must. And we often do so by hitting the roads that lead to a beautiful destination. However, at times we do not have enough information to plan the right road trip. While the journey is a destination in itself, we do love a change in terrain, and some great spots to soak our senses with delight. Here is a list of do-it-yourself road trip circuits from Mumbai that brings the best of nature, adventure and history:
1. The Digital Detox Circuit ( 3 days/ 3 nights)
Mumbai – Mahuli – Igatpuri – Bhandardara – Purushwadi – Karanjale – Mumbai
– Start early morning for Mahuli ( 2 hrs). Spend a few hours in Mahuli, and leave for Igatpuri (1.5 hrs). Check into a hotel/resort in Igatpuri by evening. Spend the night at Igatpuri.
– Enjoy the morning in Igatpuri. Leave for Bhandardara by late afternoon(1 hr). Spend the evening in Bhandardara in a camp.
– Enjoy trekking/ hiking in the morning. Leave for Purushwadi in the afternoon (1 hr). Spend some time here, and then leave for Karanjale (3 hrs) . Enjoy the sunset here. Leave for Mumbai (4.5 hrs). Reach Mumbai late night.
2. The Devotional Circuit (3 days/ 3 nights)
Mumbai – Trimbakeshwar – Shirdi – Shani Shingnapur – Mumbai
– Leave for Trimbakeshwar late night (6 hrs). Reach Trimbakeshwar early morning. Visit the pilgrimage sites during the day. Spend the night here.
– Leave for Shirdi very early morning (3 hrs). Reach Shirdi at sunrise. Visit the temple and other religious sites. Spend the night in Shirdi.
– Leave for Shani Shingnapur early morning (2 hrs). Spend the morning in Shani Shingnapur. Leave for Mumbai late afternoon (8 hrs). Reach Mumbai at night.
3. The Coastal Circuit ( 3 days/ 3 nights)
Mumbai – Ganpatipule – Murud – Kashid – Alibag – Mumbai
– Leave for Ganpatipule at night (9 hrs). Reach Ganpatipule early morning. Check into a resort and relax. Spend the evening beach hopping. Spend the night in Ganpatipule.
– Leave for Murud early morning (3 hrs). Drive beside the Arabian sea to reach Murud for brunch. Visit Janjira fort in afternoon, and spend the evening beach hopping. Leave for Kashid after sunset (4 hrs). Spend the night in Kashid.
– Enjoy the morning in Kashid, and then leave for Alibag by late afternoon (1 hr). Spend the evening at Alibag. Leave for Mumbai at night (3 hrs). Reach Mumbai late night.
4. The Hill Circuit ( 3 days/ 3 nights)
Mumbai – Khandala – Pachad – Mahabaleshwar – Pune – Mumbai
– Leave for Khandala early morning. Reach Khandala for brunch. Spend the day hiking/trekking. Check in to a hotel/ camp, and spend the night here.
– Leave for Pachad early morning (4 hrs). Trek to Raigad Fort or take the ropeway. Leave for Mahabaleshwar at night (2.5 hrs). Reach Mahabaleshwar late night.
– Explore Mahabaleshwar and Wai the next day. Leave for Mumbai via Pune after sunset (7 hrs). Reach Mumbai late night.
5. The Historical Circuit ( 5 days/ 5 nights)
Mumbai – Aurangabad – Lonar – Latur – Kolhapur – Satara – Pune – Mumbai
– Leave for Aurangabad late night (9 hrs). Reach Aurangabad in the morning. Relax for a while, and then explore the caves and monuments of Aurangabad. Spend the night in Aurangabad.
– Leave for Lonar early morning ( 4 hrs). Reach Lonar for brunch. Explore the meteor lake, and leave for Latur by late afternoon (7 hrs). Check in to a hotel late night.
– Explore the caves and monuments of Latur during the day. Leave for Kolhapur at night (8 hrs).
– Reach Kolhapur early morning and take some rest. Explore the historical sites of Kolhapur during the day. Spend the night in Kolhapur.
– Leave for Satara early morning (2.5 hrs). Explore the monuments of Satara during the day, and leave for Mumbai by evening (6 hrs). Reach Mumbai late night.