One might step into Agra for the single-purpose of seeing the Taj Mahal, but the city leaves you with much more. Of course, the beauty of the Taj is uncontested and its place on the Agra Itinerary, unreplaceable. And, honestly nothing else in the city, or country, comes close to a moonlit evening at the Taj. But, if you can spare some more time, the other wonders of Agra Tourism deserve more than a fleeting glance. Sprawling with Mughal marvels like the Agra Fort, Itimad-ud-Daulah (also referred to as the mini Taj) and Akbar’s Mausoleum, this little city on the banks of the Yamuna packs quite a punch with history. Shopping for mosaics, Mughal designs and soft-stone inlay works should turn out to be fun and if all fails, the nearby township of Fatehpur Sikhri will more than make up for your time.
Getting here and around
Agra’s Kheria airport located 13kms away from the heart of the city is connected only by Air India flights from New Delhi. Agra is well connected through the bus route with major cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Gwalior, Lucknow and Kanpur owing to Agra tourism which is always at a high. There are regular trains to Agra from cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Gwalior and Jhansi. There are five railway stations in Agra - Agra Cantt Station (the main station), Agra Fort Railway Station, Raja ki Mandi, Agra City and Idgah Railway Station. The Taj Mahal and Agra Fort which are the major attractions are in the vicinity of the Agra Cantt railway station. Agra is connected to Delhi by the new Yamuna Expressway which is a delight for the road trip enthusiasts. Taxi, auto and cycle rickshaw are the best ways to explore Agra when in the city. Just a word of advice before you proceed with planning the Agra tourism, Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays so plan your Agra itinerary accordingly!
Amazing Things To Do In Agra
1. Start your Agra itinerary with Taj Mahal. One of the best things to do in Agra is getting lost in the beauty of this world famous monument. A symbol of love and one of the wonders of the world the marvel needs no introduction. Its colossal presence is captivating and the beauty of the Taj is inexplicable.
Image Credits: Morgan Burke
2. Agra tourism is incomplete without visiting the Agra Fort that has been a place of abode to many ruling dynasties. From the videogame Age of Empires 3 to the Sherlock Holmes' mystery The sign of four, it has a pivotal role to play. Walk around and take a guided tour to appreciate its importance in the history of the Indian civilisation.
Image Credits: Frank Ritchie
3. Itmad-ud-daulah also famous as Baby Taj or Jewel box is said to be the draft of the Taj Mahal. Visiting this architectural wonder carved out of white stone located on the banks of the Yamuna river is one of the best things to do in Agra.
Image Credits: Garrett Ziegler
4. Admiring the intricate carvings in the tomb of Akbar the great or Sikandara is one of the best things to do in Agra.
Image Credits: Takehiko Ono
1. The Oberoi Amarvilas - Rs.56,850
2. Radisson Blu Hotel - Rs.7,000
3. Homestay in the city of the Taj - Rs.46,578
1. The Coral Tree - Rs.2,500
2. Hotel The Taj Vilas - Rs.2,399
3. Luxurious Homestay In Agra - Rs.2,173
Places To Eat
Agra tourism is incomplete without trying out the authentic Mughal cuisine from various outlets as it is one of the best things to do in Agra!
1. Peshawari - For people who love to gorge on North Indian delicacies, one meal at Peshawari is a must. It is based on the same concept as Bukhara in Delhi. The restaurant's speciality includes Dal Makhani, Murgh Malai Kabab (Chicken) and Sikandri Raan (Mutton).
2. Pinch of Spice - This is a great place to try different flavors from across India. It is possible to go ala carte or choose the buffet option. Make sure to go with an empty stomach as it has almost everything so delicious that you would want to try!
3. Green Park Restaurant - The restaurant provides open and indoor sitting arrangement along with some delicious options, Indian and international cuisine alike.
4. Esphahan - The place has a very royal and delightful sitting arrangement. The whole experience can be summed up in three words which are spices, colors and music! Dining here with the family is one of the best things to do in Agra.
Plan a day trip to Fatehpur Sikri, the Mughal capital of ancient India and a must include in the Agra itinerary, which is just 38kms off Agra.
Amazing Things To Do Today
1. Move around in the Fatehpur Sikri palace especially the Panch Mahal or the wind catcher tower as this unique piece of architecture employs the design elements of a Buddhist Temple that is entirely columnar, consisting of five stories of decreasing size arranged asymmetrically upon the ground floor.
Image Credits: Manuel Menal
2. Gaze at the Buland Darwaza, the highest gateway in the world and the entrance to the palace of Fatehpur Sikri. It commemorates and sings glory of the Mughal invaders that ruled India who are an important part of the world history as well.
Image Credits: Daniel Mennerich
Places To Eat
1. Mughal Garden Resort - The best thing with the Mughal Garden Resort is that they have a very exhaustive menu option. You could order Chinese, Italian, Indian and a lot more depending on your taste and preference. The environment is peaceful indeed.
2. Sher-e-Punjab - Have a wonderful dhaba like experience when in Fatehpur Sikri only at this place. Sip a cup of desi tea and order delicious sigri cooked food.
We hope that you will have a great time executing this Agra itinerary!