Before you plan a visit to the city, here are my experiences filled tips.
1. Do carry sunglasses, sunscreens and any other things that can protect you from sun.
2. Tissues or a cloth to wipe your face if you are visiting the beach. My clothes tasted salty after being exposed to salty sea breeze.
3. If you are opting public transport, do not expect Google to show correct bus stop and bus numbers to your destination.
4. Do not expect the beaches to be clean.
5. Learn few Tamil words or sentences. This is not only to ask for directions, but you can also interact with locals and knowing the people at a place makes your trip exciting.
6. Search for restaurants can be a tough task in some places.
7. Chennai has got various modes of transport to commute in the city like Metro, local trains, buses, autos, cabs. There used to be trams also.
8. The roads are mostly narrow and prone to traffic jams. Wisely calculate the commutation time.
9.Check the opening and closing times of places you planned to visit
10. Do not miss visiting Mylapore. The place just amazed me.
There are good number of English-speaking people in the city. You must not find language being a barrier to visit Chennai. The climate and food are also manageable for a trip.