In January 2016 , the family decided to make a trip to Darjeeling. It was too late to get confirmed train bookings and thus we decided to go the expensive way - Flight! Our tickets were done for January 23 rd morning at 9.30 AM. Overexcited bunch that we are, we reached the airport by 8 AM. And thus the wait began. First 'delay' announcement was done at 9 AM. The next was an hour later. By this time, my uncle had already called up our driver at Bagdogra, who informed us that it is extremely foggy there and no flight has landed since morning! Flight cancellations are never happy things, especially if you have plans to visit a 'small still not discovered much' place like Algarah during the trip. So after an agonizing couple of hours, the airlines announced the obvious - The flight is cancelled due to bad weather!
The immediate reaction from me and my two cousins were "We are not heading back home! We will go somewhere definitely". The best part of travelling with your father and uncle is that they will never say NO to anything you demand, no matter, how much atrocious or expensive that is. Thus began the debate on the next destinations. We traveled the length and breadth of India in the next one hour. So we had Jaipur, then Goa, then Lucknow, then Delhi and even Purulia! Jaipur was ruled out as the lit fest was on and we were unsure of getting rooms in hotels. Goa was completely out of question coz our luggage contents did not agree. And after an hour of such discussion, we just did something completely at the spur of the moment. We went to the airline ticket counter, which was closest to where we were standing. We asked them about the next flight that they have and if there are seven seats there. Voila, they had and it was Guwahati. So, we decided that we are travelling to Guwahati and then off to Shillong the next day. Tickets were done in a moment and booking were done over the phone. And thus the seven of us went off to have lunch.