Mountains are love. And this love for mountains took me to one of the remote places in Uttarakhand. The Sankri Range. This was my first trek as well. We were a total of 8 guys, of which, 3 of them were my college friends.
Graded as a "moderate" trek, Har Ki Doon holds its own significance in the mythologies. This valley is abode to a number of peaks namely, Mt. Swargarohini, Mt. Bandarpoonch and Mt. Kala Naag. According to the epic Mahabharata, Swargarohini's peaks forms the path to heaven that was followed by Pandavas, but only one pandava, Yudhishthira, and a dog had reached heaven. According to the legends, it is believed that this is the only way one can go to heaven with the human body itself.
Things to carry:
1. Backpack (minimum 40litres)
2. A thermal.
3. Minimum 2 tshirts.
4. A fleece jacket.
5. Poncho (Raincoat)
6. Minimum 2 trousers. (1 waterproof, if possible)
7. Towel, underwears or boxers.
8. Trekking pole (optional)
10. Energy bars(chocolate) and biscuits.
11. Waterbottle or sipper.
12. Good trekking shoes (Quechua)
13. A cap.
14. A hoodie (optional)
15. Minimum 2 pairs of socks.
16. Medical kit (band-aids, bandages, volini spray or gel, paracetamol tablets, Zofer tablets)
17 . Toilet Paper.
18. Geolin (optional, for purifying water)
We drank river water. Its completely hygienic and healthy.
19. Slippers or flipflops.
21. Id proof.