It was mid January temperatures were down to 9 Deg C and so there were very long delays on the railways . I took the superfast train from NDLS(New Delhi)and was supposed to reach Varanasi in 12 hours but then it took 30 Hours to get to Varnasi .
TRAVEL TIP : Dont take the Poorva Express in winters .
I reached the city at 11Pm and immediately took a rickshaw to the accommodation , which was Bunkedup Hostel which was about a 23 minute ride awy from the railway station. These guys had a 24 hour check in desk which was a breather as I did not refer to a map before visiting and I had no idea about the locality or info about any other cheap accomodation nearby.It was a cozy place with tons of amazing travellers from around the world .
So Varanasi is basically an intense city with alot of people and narrow roads which are lined with sweet shops and shop shops what's most interesting about the city is the number of temples it has , I learnt it has 23000 temples big and small and is one of the oldest city in the world. It has buildings which are over 1400 years old .
I had to visit the city for 3 days and head back home but ended up staying for 15 days and everyday there was a new Varanasi to see. The city is full of life and is one of the most colorful places i've visited.
oookay .. So I'll make it really really really brief , Here's what you should do in Varanasi :
- The Boat tour early in the morning to witness the GANGA ceremony at the Dashwamedha Ghat.
- Try the Blue Lassi store near the ghats P.S~ Its more than 100 years old.
- The Boat tour during the day from one end to another it'll cost you INR100 for a 2 hour tour make sure you haggle.
- Visit the Kashi Vishwanath temple , its quite like a fortress with alot of military prescence but then its good architecture and shouldnt be missed.
- See the GANGA ceremony in the evening starts @ 5pm ~TIP : You can get the balcony seats for INR30
- Should devote atleast 4 hours to walk around the alleys which are full of surprises like Restaurants serving Sushi , Bubble Tea , German Bakeries , really cheap chunk jewellery , Rooftop bars and bistros.
- Dine at the riverview restaurant overlooking the ghats and the river .
- Have a conversation with the Godmen at the ghats they've got alot on interesting things to say.
- Play soccer at the ghats if you're lucky you'll find a soccer match going on .
- Try the PAAN with kimaan in it ~ It burns in your mouth though .
- Pick up a silk scarf Or a silkish scarf whatever price they quote bring it down 55%.
- Do not miss drinking the Bhaang Lassi but make sure you drink it at your accommodation.
- Walk down the alleys to find the SPECIAL cookies .
- Watch the GANGA ceremony in the evening whilst on the boat.
- Pick up a painting for cheaps at the ghats.
- Have a conversation with the guys incharge of the ghats (they're the ones holding the iron stick" they've got crazy stories .
- Visit the Beniabagh district for some delicious meaty meals .
- A massage at the ghats it'll cost you INR30 for a 20 minute thingy .
- Visit the PAAN Market , if you cant locate it join up for a tour at the hostel . They propably have it everyday .
- Visit the Manikararnika Ghat ask around for what's up these days if they ask you for money just walk on .
- Take a boat across the ghats to the BEACHISH thingiee for some more BEACHISH soccer or a horse ride .
- People gaze sitting at the ghats ( I spent 3 hours each day watching people from all over the world walk past.
- Do the TUK-TUK Tour of the city (Zip across the city on a TUK-TUK for a 2 hour long city tour in a private Tuk ) Inbox me for the driver's number .
If the above activites do not fill up your 3 day itineraries post down below for more intel on what to do in Varanasi .
P.S~ Please pardon my grammar . I took a flight back to New Delhi .