Do research about the place you are visiting, use google maps, use public transports, stay at hostels rather than hotels, talk to locals, do not pack much, keep your national identity, don't drink too much, keep powerbackup for your gadgets, keep someone updated about where you are going.
Hey! Here are a few tips that have helped me as a traveller -
1. Pack less and stay at Hostels. You can always talk to fellow hostellers about their experiences which is of great help.
2. Eat at langars or street food. It is cheaper and doesn't kill your budget.
3. Always have battery backups for all your gadgets. You never know where you'd find a plug point once you step out of the hostel.
4. Travel in local transport like buses or on foot. It saves you a lot of money.
5. Talk to locals about places to visit. They can help you with hidden gems which no website can easily provide.
6. Be confident. Never hesitate in asking questions. You'd be surprised to see the number of people who are willing to help and also the ones who are just like you.
7. Keep your family informed about your whereabouts and always give them a few other phone numbers to call on, including the hostel's number. You never know when you run out of battery or lose signals.
Try to blend in the culture of the place because it's good not to be noticed, don't get involved in adventurous trips like getting drunk alone after 7pm at a bar, keep your gadgets charged, talk to locals but dont dwell in oversharing because it might land you up in problems and lastly mend in larger groups which you'll find while staying at hostels, since alot of other solo travelers like you will be in same position and mindset while traveling.
1. understand the type of traveller you are . weather you like to plan everything out of figure out as you go. but , it's always preferable to have a tentative itinerary. 2. stay in zostels / hostels - it's budget friendly and you meet like minded people . 3. Hitchhike if you are on a budget . 4. carry pepper spray 5. always let one person know of your plans and about the hostels you are staying at .
6. talking to hostel owners / locals helps you find out good places which you otheriwse wouldn't visit .
7. follow your gut .