Hi Priyanaka, Yes, you need to get Beyond Rohtang Pass permit and pay the congestion fee of Rs 50 for traveling from Manali to Leh. Do I need any permit for traveling from Kaza to Manali? No, you do not need any Rohtang Pass permit is required for traveling from Spiti – Kaza to Manali. Aslo, I have ttached a perfect itinerary for you to help you plan better for your road trip. Please click on the card below to read their experience. Thanks!
You need permits from SDM office Manali. It will be given in 2 hours max.
Most important thing to keep in mind - Please take backup of petrol/diesel as you will not get any petrol pumps after keylong.
Also buy some chocolates and creams to avoid skin burn.
If needed more details, feel free to contact.
Yes, you can take your private car to Leh via Manali if it's a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and in good condition. Smaller cars with less power, lower ground clearance, and older engine usually run struggle on Manali-Leh route. Following are some of many things that are to be kept in mind if you are taking your own vehicle for travelling to Ladakh: 1. Roads are tricky and with some stretches really treacherous. Only the drivers with very good experience of driving in hills should be behind the wheel while driving on Manali-Leh highway.
2. Never rush through any tricky section of the road while driving on this route.
3. Don't travel if you're unwell.
4. Prepare yourself well for less oxygen and higher altitudes. AMS can hit anytime.
5. Carry basic medication for such problems.
6. Carry essentials and other spare parts.
7. Avoid using car heater as its usage is known to aggravate AMS symptoms.
8. Do NOT drink and drive. Permits required depend on what all places you are going to visit. However, every Indian tourist needs to have Inner Line Permits to visit inner regions of Leh Ladakh which include Nubra Valley, Khardung La Pass, Pangong Tso Lake, Turtuk, Tangyar, Chang La Pass, and Tso Moriri Lake. Besides, you also need to procure the Rohtang Pass permit. Hope this helps!