You can travel via public transport or by own motorcycle if you like,it will save money. try to find budget hotels and bargain with them,you can easily find good hotel rooms starting from 500 rs. avoid restraunts,try small dhabas and shops
While booking your hotel, ask the hotelier if you can get the hotel for better prices online. I was able to get an AC room with a good view for 300 rs per night. Use government buses to commute. Try to avoid taking rickshaws or cabs for small distances and rather walk a few km, it will save you a LOT.
Cost will depends on tour duration and how many of you are going. This time isn't safe to visit Manali.Make your plan during summer.
If you start your journey from or via Delhi, then book AC volvo via HPTDC by there office, there service are good. it will take 1500/- per head. Book hotels via MMT on kanhal road. 2km away from mall road. for local side seen book local auto or those places are also walking distance. another day book a cab for solang vally and rotang pass. it'll cost you few bucks. we booked a cab to solang, will cost us 1200/-. (contact 9418632097- Bijay)
Some of the best places to visit in Manali are: 1) Hidimba Devi Temple
2) Rohtang Pass
3) Manikaran Gurudwara
4) Manali city local markets
5) Slogan Valley
6) Vashisht Hot Water Springs
7) Naggar Village
1. Non AC state bus from Delhi. Cost 700/-
2. Stay in a hostel in Old Manali. Per day cost 200-500/-. Internet searches will tell you about the options
3. Don't use autos or taxis for commuting. Hike. 4. Day 1- Local attractions around Manali. Hostels have a map which will tell you more.
Alternately download maps.me(works without internet) and is more accurate than google maps.
5. Day 2 - take a state bus to Kullu and explore Mandi. 6. Day 3 - Hike to Solang Valley and back you're welcome