There are some rules which can help in flight bookings.
1. Don't oversurf for tickets. Companies capture your cache data and adjust their prices accordingly.
2. If your dates are fixed and you see a good deal just book it.
You can pay a bit extra and get refundable tickets, incase of any contingency.
3. Airline companies put up their sale on weekends so the best day to book tickets are from Monday to Wednesday.
4. If you frequently travel in flights then choose a good airline and book its tickets only. Will benefit you in long term.
Some of the best ways to book cheap flight tickets are as follows:
1. Lookout for sales on various sites like makemytrip, goibibo, etc and plan your travel accordingly 2. Try to book flight on tuesday/wednesday when the rates are cheapest
3. Look for booking a flight from a busy airport to a busy airport as the rates are cheaper there than an airport where the number of flights are less.