Mandaragiri Hills is mainly known as BASADI BETTA, which is unexplored by many travelers. It is also getting popular as Peacock temple. A Journey from Bangalore to this place is just 2 hrs, around 62kms, an amazing place outside Bangalore for one day outing with your family and friends. Located just 2 kms away from Panditanahalli. An amazing place outside Bangalore for one day outing. It is an active worship place for Jain people and temple is quite beautiful. Extremely worth spending a day. Roads are good to drive. Here is the detail information.
Interesting facts and things to know about this place:
1. "SRI MUKHA MANTAPA" at the base has installed tall statue of CHANDRANATHA THIRTHANKARA in 2011 inaugurated by Dr. Veerandra Heggade, Dharmadhikari of Dharmasthala which is covered by green grass around. Below the statue, there is a small temple dedicated to the Goddess Devi.
2. "GURU MANDIR" a pinchi shaped 81 feet Guru Mandir with Peacock feather design has a Jain History declared as a Unique world record. The Guru Mandir is dedicated to the Digambar Jain ascetic Acharya 108 Sri Shanthinsagarji Maharaja. The walls inside the Mandir tells the story. Inside it is very calm and good for meditation. This beauty sculptured also holds a Guinness world record for the structure.
Guru Mandir(Peacock temple)
3. Ancient Jain temples on the Hill: Once the Sri Mukha Mantapa and Guru Mandir visits are over, one can head towards the hill nearby and that's where the hidden beauty awaits. It's an easy climb and even kids can make it which would take around 10-15mins. The view from the hill is superb. This Small hill with over 435 steps leading past ancient Jain temples. At hillock, 4 small ancient Jain temples that are around 1000 years old. Two are dedicated to CHANDRANATHA THIRTHANKARA, CHANDRAPRABHA THIRTHANKARA and two PARSHAVNATH THIRTHANKARA (one is sitting, and another is standing) which 2 are from the 12th century and the other two from the 14th century. The temple on the top of the hill opens only in the morning. The temple is very old and is not visible until you reach the hilltop. The keys might be with the local caretaker. But, Temple is currently under renovation, which would take 6 months as per the localities, but you can have the Darshana. Steps are there for climbing the hill.
4. Mydala Lake view from the Hill - The best part is while climbing the hill, the scenery is stunning. The views from the hill, especially Mydala Lake, is a sight to witness. There is another way, where you can take Bike to the top of the hill from the backside of the mountain.
5. Small Pond : Small stream, lake on the top of the hill which is behind the Jain temple will take the experience to the next level. There are not enough big trees for shade, but you will find some big rocks. It's amazing to sit, enjoy the cool breeze and relax with your Family or Friends.
Small pond on top of the hill
• No shops/restaurants around, carry your own food
• Car/Bike parking is there which is free
• Place is maintained well, don’t litter
• Restrooms, water facilities are there
• Best time to visit – Sunrise and Sunset
• Free entry no charges, Carry camera to capture the best moment
• Very basic rooms are there which is only for Family
I would say only three words about this place – Peaceful, Beautiful & Best Location for a perfect weekend with your family and Friends if you are in Bangalore.