Here is what best describes my trip: #WhiteSandBeaches #BlueWaters #Mantas #Sharks #BeautifulReefs #MarineLife #IslandLife #BeachLife #MeAtPeace #SeaBreezeInHair #MonsoonInMaldives #SwayingPalms #BestTrip #LifeChanging #BeautyBeyondWords #MajorMissing
This year I decided to beak my ‘no international trip’ rule. Well hell broke loose as I had to make all the bookings in 15 days if I wanted to travel on my birthday. That meant that I could not travel anywhere that required prior Visa. That in turn meant that I had very limited options. I was also on a tight budget.
In an impulsive moment I bought flight tickets to Maldives and also purchased a return ticket ensuring that my stay was for four nights and four days. And once the tickets were booked, I realized that I had made a deep mess. My narrative will tell you what happened to me while planning for the trip and on the trip.
No sooner had I booked the flights, that I realized
• The trip would cost me a lot more than I expected if travelled to the island of my dreams to witness Manta migration (appx $300 per person per way on sea plane)
• It would cost me even more if I opted to simply settle at a resort (food and alcohol packages are a rip off)
• The information of ferries online was haphazard
• I was to fly back early morning. So early that the ferries don’t start running for the by that time!
• Not only had I booked an early morning flight, I had also booked it for a Saturday. A lot of islands are not connected by ferries on Fridays. That means I would have to choose my island correctly or not believe the information on ferries available on the internet.
• This meant that I could not make prior bookings with hotels
I decided to take a plunge! I left for Maldives without any kind of prior bookings. And the following ensued
• I was stopped at Kochi airport because I did not have prior bookings
• I was able to argue that SpiceJet had no right to stop me but I had to give an undertaking stating that if I was sent back SpiceJet would not pay any kind of penalty. Absurd right!
• The food on the connecting flight was over
• The information desk at the airport could not help at all with ferry schedule or internal flight schedule.
• The airport was teeming with agents who were selling packages at exorbitant prices.