Amarnath cave is a famous shrine in Hinduism located in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is dedicated to Shiva. The cave is situated at an altitude of 3,888m. The Amarnath cave has been a place of worship since times immemorial. There are references to the legendary king Aryaraja (ascribed fictional dates 32BCE-17CE) who used to worship a lingam formed of ice in Kashmir. The book Rajatarangini (Book VII v.183) refers to Amareshwara or Amarnath. It is believed that Queen Suryamathi in the 11th century AD gifted trishuls, banalingas and other sacred emblems to this temple.Rajavalipataka, begun by Prjayabhatta has detailed references to the pilgrimage to Amarnath Cave. Other than this, there are further references to this pilgrimage in many other ancient texts.
It is believed that after the Middle Ages, this cave was forgotten by people and it was once again discovered by a shepherd in the 15th century. However, there are many stories about the discovery of this cave. One story states that once a Gujjar (Shepherd) named Buta Malik was given a bag full of coal by a holy man. When he reached home, he found that the bag contained not coal, but gold coins. Overjoyed, he ran back to the place where he had met the Holy man. However the holy man had disappeared and Buta Malik instead discovered the cave and the Lingam.
This trip is not only religious but, also an adventurous trip. One should not miss this opportunity.
Points To Be Noted:
- Best time for journey: July to August
- Tariff includes –
- Welcome drink at the time of arrival into the hotel
- Helicopter tickets from Baltal/Amarnath/Baltal
- Non Ac Toyota Qualis at disposal as per the program
- 1 Night at Hotel Glacier Heights/Glacier View /Snowland on CPAI basis
- 1 Night at Deluxe Camping at Panchtarni on EPAI basis
- 1 Night at Mahjong group of Houseboats/Hotel Sunshine, Srinagar on CPAI basis
- Shikara ride on Dal Lake 2/3 hrs
- Service of our representative at the time of arrival
- Rates are valid for the season of 2010
3. Package cost (per person) –
- Double Sharing (for two adults): 15,600 INR
- Two adults with one bed (one extra bed): 11,200 INR
- One adult and one child (between 2-12 years; with extra bed): 9000 INR