Then at 6.00pm they start with the Hanoi night market. Oh, this is a loooong one. They have everything you need just like in Saigon. This one is an open air street market though. Ben Thanh is a closed structure. I just some souvenirs and a North Face jacket. I roamed the market with whatever energy I had. As this was my last night, I couldnt just go and sleep at the hotel. I roamed Hanoi till 11.30pm.
Feb 20: Day 11: Mumbai
Early morning at 6.00am, the hotel guy had arranged a cab for me.. I reached Noi Bai / Hanoi airport and waited for my plane to pick me up back to home.
Below are some points I believe are very important.
- Never let go of your passport. If your hotel reception people ask for it, give it to them. Apart from this, Always keep it with you. Always!
- Make sure you know the currency conversion well. Install apps on your phone to be sure. The 00000 Zeros might get confusing, you might end up paying a higher denomination note.
- Bargain, get straight to 50% or what you feel is appropriate.
- Know what you are eating. Vegetarian? You will mostly pay more than twice. Chicken Fried Rice: 15,000 VND, Veg Fried Rice: 50,000 VND. Enjoy!
- If you book everything in advance, keep prints with you.
- Like your passport, keep money with you always. You would mostly enter Vietnam with Dollars or Euros. Keep them with you. I barely spent 150 USD in Vietnam (apart from hotels/tours/train/shopping). Food is cheap and really good. Bike rentals are cheap.
- If you like someone's work/service do leave a tip. Dont leave behind 5000-10,000 VND.. thats too less value. Its not mandatory but its a good way to appreciate someone's work.
I dont think 10 days is even close to "fine" to travel in Vietnam: South -> North. Even though I went to every important place a person can in 10 days, I think I should stay a day longer everywhere, making this at least a 3 weeks trip.
Apart from this, the country is safe. If you've seen the video, I've ventured into forests and villages all alone. Nothing to worry in this country. The food is great. People are beautiful. Have a great time. If you need any info not mentioned here, drop a comment :)