Mountain biking is a real fun and adventurous sport. You get to climb the entire mountain on your cycle (bike). As fun as it sounds, there are some things you should be aware of before you climb any mountain on your bike.
In this article, we will provide you some basic information about mountain climbing and necessary tips and techniques. Here are some of them:-
- Climbing hills -
Traction is the only way to achieve successful mount climbing on your mountain bike. It can be a bit difficult because of loose roots, rocks and mud on the way. One of the biggest problems faced by mountain bikers is that in these kinds of regions, it is very common that the rear wheel of their bike spins and slips, as you climb upwards. Under these circumstances, you end up doing an unforced wheelie. The only way to get traction is that the biker should know how to distribute his body weight evenly on the right areas of the bike.
Here are some of the ways to achieve perfect traction while climbing upwards on the hill -
1. Try to shift your body weight to the back of the bike’s seat and your upper body should be leaning forward
2. The elbows should be down and close to the side. This helps in lowering the center of gravity.
3. Always remember to keep your head up and then pick your line.
4. It is very important to get the right gear while climbing upwards on a hill.
- Riding downhill -
Riding downhill with your mountain bike is quite exciting and one of the most adrenaline pumping and exhilarating activities for a rider. In spite of it being so exciting for a rider, it is also very dangerous. Before you start your journey to climb downhill, make sure you have the right safety gears like full face helmet, suitable torso and back protection and limb protection for any emergency. It is obviously very important to check your brakes before you think about climbing downhill.
Here are some ways that you can do to be safe and also get to the downhill in no time, they are:-
1. While climbing downhill always place your entire weight to the rear of the bike.
2. Be slow and low and always keep your front body very close to the bike.
3. Your arms and legs should be very flexible and relaxed so that it does not create any tension on the bike.
4. Always remember that your feet should be in perfect line with the ground.
5. Whenever you have to use your brakes, use both front and back brakes evenly.
6. Like any other race or sport, pick one line and stick to it.
There are many mountain biking tours in India that can be very exciting and adventurous for climbers. Make sure to keep yourself well geared and safe at all times. If you decide to climb, it is very important for you to be well prepared before you start.