Visa Advice to Study in the USA at top US Universities


Studying in the top universities of the USA is every student’s dream. Latest technology, considerable exposure, different environment, and expertise; these are some reasons that instigate an individual to pursue an education in the USA. For studying in the USA, you need to apply for US visa. Obtaining US visa is a long process and you should follow certain guidelines when you apply for this visa.

Determining your Visa Type

US study visa is of three types – F-1 visa, M-1 visa, and J-1 visa. Your visa will be determined by the following factors:

If you wish to pursue the course at an accredited college or university or school, you have to apply for an F-1 visa.

If you wish to enroll for vocational or practical training in an institute, you can apply for M-1 visa. This type of training does not require credit system and hence, it falls under M-1 visa category.

If you are planning to travel for an exchange program, you have to apply for a J-1 visa. You can be a student, teacher, researcher, medical practitioner, etc to apply for a J-1 visa.

First of all, you have to determine your visa type. After this, you can apply for the appropriate visa. Remember that you cannot travel for a study on Visa Waiver Programs. VWP are offered to some countries but it is not applicable for study purposes. However, if a person possesses Visitor (B) visa, he or she is entitled to travel for recreational study purposes.

SEVP Approved School or Institution

When you have applied for F-1 or M-1 visa, your US visa application process will initiate when you are admission application is accepted at SEVP approved school. That means you cannot apply for US visa unless your application is approved by the designated school or college or university.

After the approval, you will be enrolled in SEVIS. You will get an I-20 form that should be submitted during your visa interview. If you have dependants, you have to take I-20 forms for every individual.

Exchange Visitor Program

If you are applying for J-1 for an exchange program, you should be accepted by a sponsoring organization. After acceptance, you will be enrolled in SEVIS when you pay SEVIS I-901 fee. After successful submission and enrollment, your US visa interview will be scheduled.

Valid Documents for US Visa Application

DS-160 form – It is the nonimmigrant visa application form that needs to be filled with accurate information.

Passport-sized photograph – Recent photograph with sharp details and normal background.

I-20 form – In the case of F-1 visa and M-1 visa, you need to show this form during the interview.

DS-2019 form – This is required for J-1 visa applicants. It is provided by program sponsors after enrollment is SEVIS.

DS- 7002 form – In the case of trainees or interns who intend to travel on J-1 visa, they have to show this form during your interview.

Fee receipt – You have to pay $160 visa application fee.

Apart from these, you may require other documents depending on your country, study program, and so on. Make sure you appear for the interview at the US Embassy near your permanent residence. During interview, get accustomed to basic visa rules, give honest answers, and sound confident. This is to ensure better chances of approval. Abide by these guidelines for confirmed approval of your US visa application.

Be the first one to comment