My top 10 Hindi songs for travel:
1. Kya mausam hai, aye deewane dil, chal kahin door nikal jaaye - Kishore da, Lata ji, Rafi sahab
I love this song! The lyrics are exceptionally beautiful. Kishoreda and Lataji's voice make a perfect melody! The opening line itself brings out the traveller in you.
2. Musafir hoon yaaron, na ghar hai na theekana - Kishore da
A song for traveller penned by Gulzar sahab and rendered superbly by Kishore Kumar. “Mujhe chalte jana hai…”is what every committed sings.
3. Raah pe rehte hai, yadon mein basar karte hai - Kishore da
The poem is typical Gulzar sahab’s magic, but the line “Hum thahar jaaye jahan, usko shaher kehte hai…” is extraordinarily brilliant. Gulzar sahab’s way of describing thing is out-of-the-world. All of his songs are life’s philosophy. I like this song entirely – the lyrics, the music by RD Burman and Kishore Kumar’s melodious voice.
4. Phirte hai kabse dar-ba-dar, ab is nagar ab us nagar - Kishore da
This song by Javed Akhtar is directed to a lover who has left. In just four paragraphs Javed sahab has narrated the the story with a climax. He has skilfully shown an optimism of an individual in company of his own “aawargi”. This song is also sung by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, which, for me, is not as appealing as the one in Kishore Kumar’s voice.
5. Yunhi chala chal raahi - Udit Narayan, Kailash Kher
AR Rahman is a ‘scientist’ in the world of melodies. This song by Javed Akhtar from movie ‘Swades’ arouses the traveller in you with lines line – “kitni haseen hai ye duniya…”. Javed Akhtar is a nature poet’s in his own right. This duet of Udit Narayan and Kailash Kher makes my mood happy.
6. Hum jo chalne lage, chalne lage hain ye raaste – Shaan
This number from “Jab We Met” must be in everybody travel playlist. Excellent song penned by Irshad Kamil, I like these lines– “aao meelon chale, jana kahan na ho pata…” It is a must have Hindi travel song.
7. Tanha dil, tanha safar, dhoonde tujhe phir kyoon nazar - Shaan
Written and sung by Shaan, this song has striking lines like – “Mitti ki khushboo aaye”, and “manzil nayi hai anjaana hai karwa…” and for solo travellers – “chalna akele hai yahan…” A compete travel song!
8. Maine dekhe hai sabhi rang duniya ke - Rajeshwari
I have been watching this song on TV since my college days. I love the song, its cinematography and dance by Rajeshwari Loomba. I would someday make a collage of my travels and give playback of this song.
9. Mera kuch samaan, tumhare paas pada hai - Asha Bhosle
This song is dedicated to luggage :) Well, jokes apart, this song is my personal favourite. Gulzar sahab, again, in his literary genius, has painted a picture of words with “…ek akeli chatri mein jab, aadhe-aadhe bheeg rahe the…”. A gem of singing by Asha Bhosle under RD Burman’s music direction. The song is nectar to ears.
10. Hoshwalon ko khabar kya, bekhudi kya cheez hai… - Jagjit Singh
…because no playlist is complete without a Jagjit Singh gazhal!
Follow me on Facebook.