On the way back we were blessed to see 2 more of them. While one was simply strolling, the other one was found, preoccupied with eating. However, when we stopped and I looked right, his (he was a tusker!!) tiny piercing eyes looked right at me (the highway was elevated whereas his “food plate” was at a lower height and perhaps extreme excitement was contradicting my sense of reality, but I am certain he looked right AT ME!!!) where we halted. “Aankhon aakhon mein ishara hua” which I don’t think played well, as he simply left his meal and swayed off (that felt humiliating!!) but he wasn’t an aggressive one. Just thought it better to leave in order to avoid any human interaction!!
This just goes on to show how smart they are. And its always interesting to know the unique characteristics of these enigmatic species!
Some Interesting Facts About Elephants
• With their ability to recall waterholes, recounting interactions with other elephants and humans and having the largest brain among all land mammals to do all the heavy work of remembering - their memory is truely legendary!
• Their society is matriarchal – decisions are taken by the ladies!! There is one head matriarch, and everyone follows her.
• Bulls or males are usually solitary beings, they stray from the herd after they come of age and sometimes join other herbs or remain a maverick (moody)!!
• Elephants being mega-herbivores, need to fulfill their daily food requirement – approximately 150 – 300 kg which is 10% of their body weight!!
• Since they have to maintain their weight, they end up not being picky eaters and evolved into generalist herbivores (kuch bhi veg kha jao – we really need to learn from them and stop bothering our moms).
• They possess deeper understanding of languages and can differentiate between them!