This is still an offbeat destination to western countries & Central Asia.I hardly got to see any western foreigners or even Indians! Most of the tourists are from China, Japan, Korea & to some extend from Thailand
Before I give any further information on this travel let me tell you few important things,if you are travelling here -
(1) it's china, hence be prepared to walk and walk and walk a lot
(2) while making itinerary don't be harsh on yourself travelling all days, give yourself rest for a day or two if you are not fit enough or not a regular traveler. You will be tired for sure
(3) 200% safe for solo travelers - be it male or female, no scams as per me, neither i hear any unlike Europe
MUST HAVE APPLICATIONS
(1) Download WeChat app at least 4 days before you leave the country, as it has translator as well
(2) Either take paid VPN - EXPRESS VPN which is the best, or else download multiple free VPNs so as to access your Gmail, FB, Instagram, Whatsapp & other banking apps (if required).
I recommend multiple VPNs because relying on single VPN will not be a good idea as it may not work in all places. THUNDERVPN worked very well in the National Park . Also you can keep ZEROVPN, WANGVPN
(3) Download MAPS.ME as this will work offline as well.
(4) Download KLOOK of you are someone who hates being in queue and would like to get the tickets in advance. However this is optional, as the tickets can be arranged locally through the hotel /hostel you stay ,if you pay 2 or 3 yuan extra which I feel way much cheaper than online prices. And you will get it in your hand unlike KLOOK for which you need to go to a point to collect your ticket
(4) Download HOSTEL WORLD ,an app that helps you to select hostels with dormitory and private room options based on the real time reviews which is way much cheaper than hotels. Hotels in Zhangjiajie city are quite expensive.
(5) CURRENCYCONVERTER to get real time currency rates
*** 1 YUAN or RMB is equal to INR 10/-
Carry enough Chinese yuan as hard cash; as I heard, in some places they were not accepting USD as well. However if you have an international card like NIYO Global card, you can withdraw money from the ATM counter which is inside the park. You will find an ICBC bank ATM Counter