How to reach from Melbourne - Rent a car for two days
Travel time - 6 hours to and from
Fun Facts - Completed in 1932, the Great Ocean Road was built as a memorial to Victoria's First World War servicemen and women.
· Bells beach - Internationally acclaimed Bells Beach is a place of spiritual beauty all year round. There isn't much 'beach' at Bells, it's mostly a glorious cliff-face, and views from the cliff-top car park are spectacular - a great spot to watch local surfers out in the water.
· Apollo Bay - Watersports to exceptional sea food, Apollo Bay has it all. One of the most picturesque seaside villages in Australia. Tucked away in the foothills of the incredible Otway's, the bay is a haven for water lovers and adventure travelers.
· Lavers Hill - As a place to base and explore, Lavers Hill is central to some of the Otway's most diverse destinations including beaches, rainforests and waterfalls.
· Twelve Apostles - The Great Ocean Road is one of Australia's best-loved attractions, and the 12 Apostles only exacerbate this. If you're in the area, make sure you visit to catch a glimpse of one of the country's most incredible natural wonders. The unique structure of the 12 Apostles featuring a collection of limestone stacks that shoot skywards. At the moment, only eight apostles remain after the ninth collapsed back in 2005, but it still promises a stunning sight - especially if you visit at sunrise or sunset.
· Loch Ard Gorge - Behind the beauty of Loch Ard Gorge hides a dark and tragic story of shipwreck, heroism, and survival. The two unconnected pillars are officially named Tom and Eva, after the Loch Ard survivors.
Budget for this trip : INR 200000/- (excluding stay in Sydney, and onward flight from Delhi to Sydney)
Mode of transport (city to city): Greyhound Bus service - INR 17000 (bus pass for 15 days). One can travel to any direction anytime within Australia. And for local travel, I mostly walked. Uber was quite expensive. Minimum is INR 600 even if it is a kilometer drive.
Food Cost: 1500-2000 per day (if eating outside), can keep it minimal if one starts to cook at hostel kitchen.
Return Flight: INR 50000 - INR 60000. Since I had to pay only for my return flight from Melbourne to Delhi hence costed me INR 28,000.
Accommodation: I stayed in backpackers hostels throughout my journey which costed me anywhere between INR 1000 - INR 2000 per night.
Entertainment: It is all about the places you want to go, like museums, whale watching, clubs, etc. I don't remember much about my pub expenses. I went partying for like 4-5 times, not more than that.
Whitsundays Island: This was the most beautiful experience of my journey. For 2 days and 1 night, we were on a cruise exploring dolphins, whales, watching sunrises and sunset. It was indeed the most amazing part of the trip. The cost for this trip was around INR 25000.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words; well a video must be worth at least a million. Watch below my extraordinary journey through the capital city of Sydney and more videos to follow.