They say if there is the heaven on this earth, that must be here! Being a 90’s kid, I grew up reading the ‘incidents’ happening in Kashmir and how it was not safe for the tourists. As I grew up to be a travel enthusiast, Kashmir became the prized location for me, a distant dream, a dream so dear yet so difficult to be true. Until this pandemic happened and in a winter morning I saw a picture of the snow capped mountains in social media and decided, I would go to Kashmir, in this winter itself! And after spending 6 days in heaven I really wonder, what was stopping me for so many years!
1. We booked our vehicle and hotels through a local travel agent. The package came cheaper than the individual hotel and car booked online. The package included the breakfast and dinner as well.
2. Do not buy the Gulmarg gondola tickets online. Sometimes the gondola is not operational and in that case it is difficult to get the refund.
3. Do support local art and crafts and do not forget to bargain if you want to get a good deal.
4. Try to buy traditional pherans or shawls from Pahalgam, we found cheapest deal there.
5. Kashmiri food is a total celebration on its own. Try the kashmiri pulao, roganjosh, kabab, mutton rishta. There are plenties of vegetarian options as well. Kashmiri kawah is a must try , we tasted the best one from a saffron store on our way to Pahalgam.
6. In February 2021, a mandatory covid test was required to be taken by every passenger landing at Srinagar airport. It was a rapid test and took 5 minutes only.
7. While returning, in Srinagar airport there was 4 step security checking. It took an additional one hour for that long procedure. We recommend to plan accordingly.