Day 5: Chatru to Manali via Rothang Pass
85km drive, Time taken 4-6 hour
- Breakfast at camp site
- Lunch on the way (not included in the cost)
- Rothang pass road is a very busy route; driving time may increase due to of heavy traffic. Make your further travel plan from Manali after 6:00 pm
One good thing about this trek is that it is Manali - Manali.You can keep your luggage at any stay in manali. You can check out my detailed manali trip guide here
So, you can plan to cover Kullu-Manali-Manikaran-Kasol-Tosh after the trek.
- Reduce the bag weight as much u can, 6-7 Kg is recommended. As the bag/dresses get wet in rain, the bag weight increases and it will make your trek more difficult.
- Try to reach one day earlier in Manali. One day rest before trek always helps to give our body enough rest to prepare for a good trek.
- No electricity throughout the trek. All day’s stay is in tents. Water will be available in toilets all days.
- It is not a snow trek. During July, chances of seeing snow is very less. During the last day there was a small snow patch, where we could do a small slide.
From Delhi take Himachal Govt Bus Himusta AC Volvo. It was very comfortable, and we reached on time without much delays. You can book the tickets from Redbus.
I strongly suggest not to compromise on your trekking gears quality. Just think of a situation, where your shoes got damaged and you are not able walk OR You don't have a good enough jacket to withstand cold, and the temperature goes below 5 degree. One stick is enough, so that you can give support with another hand while trekking in difficult terrains.
Poncho experience was horrible. The buttons kept coming off in wind and you have to keep holding the bottom part while trekking in difficult terrains. In my opinion rain cot + bag cover would be a better option.
Hence, Please consider investing in good quality gears. It will be totally worth making your trek a good and memorable experience.
Thanks for reading and hope you trekked HAMPTA PASS along with us, through the story and pictures. Please check out my travel blogs for more interesting destinations including Rupin Pass Trek, Andaman, Europe, Rajasthan etc😊
Mountains are the beginning and the end of all natural scenery
It’s better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times
Message me your comments/queries via instagram. Will be happy to help you :)