Kedarkantha Trek is one of the most famous and beautiful winter trek in Himalaya region of Uttarakhand, trekked by several thousand of adventure enthusiast every year during winter when the mountains are covered with white pearlish snow. Kedarkantha is famous winter trek because of its amazing views and a mystic feel which captivates the one with its beauty. Kedarkantha trekking starts from height of 5800ft at Sankri and climbs to 12500ft at Kedarkantha peak. Kedarkantha trek is a winter trek which starts from December and goes till mid March to mid April, when there is still snow in mountains. Kedarkantha peak offers amazing views of several Himalayan peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpooch, Blackpeak etc. It’s an easy to moderate trek which starts from the beautiful Himalayan village of Sankri, which is located at an altitude of 1950m above sea level. Snow capped peaks, lush green meadows, pine trees, golden glow of sun , pristine and sparking water flowing down the valley – is the feel of Kedarkantha trek.
FACTS ABOUT KEDARKANTHA TREK
• Kedarkantha peak is located at an altitude of 12500ft (3500m) in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarkashi district in Western Gharwal region of Uttarakhand. It is a easy to moderate trek trek in which all the difficulty lies on in chilly weather and deep snow.
• Located at an altitude of 3500m, the trek covers a total distance of 22km.
• Best time to visit is from December to March, one can also find last of snow in April though not as much as during winter periods.
• Dehradun is the nearest major city located at a distance of 220km from Sankri, starting point of trek and last place with a sufficient market. Dehradun also has a major railway station in the center of city and an Airport located 22km from city.
• Most of the mobile networks except BSNL does not work. BSNL also works only till Sankri.
• Temperature remains freezing at night and sometimes during peak winters can drop as low as -10 to -15 degree celcius.