A wise man once said that the world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. And somehow that saying has stuck on to me, making me look at travel not just as recreation but as an education. Even when you don’t realize it, every time you set out to travel you learn something new. I have travelled a fair amount to know how travel has been an educator of sorts, and in my experience, here are some things that travelling will teach you.
Image Credit: Ayank
1. You will become tolerant. Towards people, situations, the weather and a number of other things.
2. It will fuel your imagination. The exposure to new sights and sounds will leave your mind wanting more.
3. You will learn to share.
4. Your knowledge of culture is going to get bigger.
5. You will learn to appreciate a lot of non materialistic things.
6. It will teach you budgeting better than your economics class ever did.
7. You will discover things about yourself which you wouldn’t have known earlier. Maybe you could be a good photographer, or a really good surfer!
8. You will learn to love nature.
9. The more you love nature, the more you will want to protect and conserve it.
10. You will meet different kinds of people on your travels, some good and some not so good, you will learn how to deal with both.
11. You will grow up.
12. It will teach you to be responsible.
13. You will be happier.
14. You will learn to respect other people better.
15. Sometime when things don’t go as per plan, it will teach you how to make the most out of what you have at the moment.
Image Credit: Aatlas
16. You will respect the laws and rules of another country.
17. That will lead you to respect the laws and rules of your own country when you come back home.
18. You will learn the tricks of haggling and become a smart shopper.
19. If you are traveling with friends or family, you will learn to value them and it will make your bond stronger.
20. You will become even more independent.
21. Your mind will be like a tiny encyclopedia on world travel, a master house of knowledge.
22. At times travel may leave you frustrated and lost, but that will only make you stronger.
23. You will pick up a few words of the local language; it may not be a full fledged certified course, but knowing how to say ‘I Love You’ in French is so much more fun!
24. You will learn about cuisines from different parts of the world, wherever you travel to. Learning about food and eating new items will make you want to try to pick up the wok and toss something up.
25. Finally once you are back home, you will have learnt to appreciate it much more!