Be street smart with the Tourist guides-
Now since we had very little information about what to see and the history of Varanasi we thought of hiring a guide to show us around and dig deeper in the roots of Varanasi. There are websites from where in you can book your guide. But the guide might skip a place or two and try to make more money out of it so better get a rough map at first of all the places that you're going to cover.
Things you should/shouldn't do in Varanasi-
1. Participate in the evening Aarti at the Dshashvamedha Ghat
2. Go for boat rides during the evenings and the mornings
3. Take a stroll on the Ghats
4. Eat a Banarasi paan
5. Have the delicious Malaiyo
6. Don't miss the Chat at Kashi chat Bhandar
7. Go to the Kashi Vishwanath temple and the Kaal Bhairav Temple
8. You will find many tourist guide at Godowlia quoting prices, don't fall for it. Do bookings priorly or seek help from the boatmen.
9. People outside the temples and the priests are going to pester you for offerings. Do it only if you wish to and don't be bothered by anything else.
10. Seek help from boatmen. Here's a contact detail of a boatman who goes by the name Anna- 96702 67131 (Ask him the story to his pseudo name and he'll be happy to share it with you).