Leaving aside scenery, if you keen to do some activities, unfortunately, you do miss out on few things during winter, like, you won't be able to rent a boat, or visit Ice caves. Nevertheless, you do have access to 12th Century Catholic Church and Altaussee Salt mine which are the main attractions of Hallstatt.
I have to admit this by far, is the best scenic town that I have witnessed!
Mode of Transport in Austria
Train travel is efficient to zip around Austria which will take you through scenic routes. Trains are operated by the Austrian Federal Railways (OBB). Austria is fairly a small city and hence distance between to cities is not much. There is OBB Railjet, connecting to different cities and there are regular passenger trains branching out to various smaller towns for sightseeing.
Renting a Car
Renting a Car gives you freedom to travel around at your own pace. Driving in winter is not as scary as it sounds. All good companies provide Cars with winter equipped equipments like winter tyres, snow chains etc. Cars rented at airports come with hefty surcharge so consider it renting from local city area.
Final Verdict by KT
1. There are tons of winter activities which you can undertake during winter. You can try skiing, snow shoeing , igloo building, horse carriage ride and likewise.
2. Deals deals and good deals! One can stay close to the city Centre during winter as they aren’t very expensive. Basically, you get to stay close to Centre without burning hole in your pocket. It’s a win-win situation.
3. All indoor sightseeing activities are open during winter. One can thoroughly enjoy all indoor sightseeing. Austria has some of the most stunning Museums and Palaces.
5. Most important, weather isn’t that bad during winter that one cannot step out at all! Wearing right clothing is all you got to do. All you need is a full body thermal set, rainproof jacket, hat, windproof gloves, warm boots, and believe me you are good to go!
4. Mode of Transport? I enjoyed all of it. I travelled in a passenger train and hop-in hop-off bus in Vienna; thereafter, rented a Car to drove (from Vienna) to Salzburg and Hallstatt. I love the idea of driving through European roads and renting a Car was must for me!
As far as (commutation) cost is concerned, after reading lot of blogs, reviews on trip advisor and doing my own calculation, I realised that if you are visiting more than one city, renting a car is a better option as Trains in Europe (inter city connect) aren't very cheap. Ultimately, one incurs more or less same cost! Also car becomes very convenient when you have decent luggage to carry! However, if you are going to be only in Vienna, then yes, opt for train and hop-in-hop off buses as they are excellent!
So is it worth traveling to Austria in Winter? To sum up, if you can handle cold weather, wouldn’t mind to skip few outdoor sight seeing, the answer to the question is a echoing YES! Austria winter is pure magic and is definitely a good idea!
#Austria, #Austriainwinters, #Wintervacation #europe, #travel, #winterholidays #vienna, #Hallstatt, #Salzburg, #europeholidays, #trip, #heritagehotel, #snow, #mountains