Day 6 The day of full and final settlement. We were on the road by 830 and drove non stop via Bilaspur, Ambala till 3 to stop for a lunch break at the highway. Again, the drive continued non stop and by 7 we had touched Delhi. After dropping KP we reached home at 9 and finally put in the final brakes at the home porch. Home sweet home! Well this may be the end of this trip but the mind is over working in drafting the next. Home looked beautiful but we were too short of words to describe the feeling. Like they say there is a difference between hearing and seeing. Likewise, there is a difference in me penning down and actually living the entire trip. Thank God for creating such master pieces. The next one awaits now! Till then, Hail Spiti. Hail Himalayas.
- The Route taken: Delhi-Shimla-Narkanda-Kalpa-Reckong Peo-Pooh-Nako-Sumdo-Tabo-Dhankar Monastery-Pin Valley-Kaza-Kunzum La (15060 ft)-Rohtang-Manali-Ambala-Delhi.
- Distance covered: 1700 kms over a span of 6 days with off-roading for 3. We live young, we live free...
- HPTDC has good hotels throughout HP. All the hotels are clean with geyser and heater facility. The food menu has a wide choice. LE would recommend staying in them throughout Himachal. We stayed in them at Narkanda, Kalpa and Kaza. Apart from them, there are nice home stays throughout the way.
- Petrol Pumps: ample on the way. No petrol pump between Reckong Peo and Kaza and Kaza and Manali.
- Himachal has beautiful apple orchids. You can see trees gushing with beautiful big apples throughout the way.
- Vehicle strongly recommended is a 4×4. We did the complete journey in a Swift, but LE would strongly recommend a 4×4. There is no tarmac between Kaza and Rohtang and its a treacherous drive. If you are attempting Kaza on any other vehicle, then LE advices to take the Kaza-Rampur-Shimla route back.
- Spiti valley hotels : HPTDC has a nice hotel to stay. Apart from this, there are many other hotels and guest houses for travellers.
- Temperature to range from 30 degrees max to -10 degrees minimum. Maximum altitude to be achieved is around 15,500 ft ASL or above 4500 mtrs. Major accommodations and food options on the way are going to be basic.
- Do not expect any luxuries atleast for 3-4 days of the middle of the trip. Bathing available. Expected snowfall/frost for subzero temperatures.
- Ensure all equipments in place in terms of vehicle safety and breakdown measures. Don't take such tracks as jokes and don't go with a casual attitude. There won't be help on 50 kms each side at some stretches.
- Travel light.
- Things to carry: Self medicines if taking any. Please advise prior to the team. Sunscreen/basic cosmetics like lip balm etc. Sunglasses, Sleeping Bag. Carry medicine for AMS.
- Clothing : Inner warmer both top and bottom, Jacket (preferably with hood) else cap extra. A sweater/sweatshirt. 4/5 T-shirts. Gloves. Jeans/Lowers 2 pair. Pair of night clothes.
- Spiti Circuit As done by us:
Day1- Delhi- Shimla- Narkanda
Day2- Narkanda- Rampur- Reckong Peo-Kalpa
Day3- Kalpa- Pooh- Nako- Sumdo- Tabo
Day4- Tabo- Dhankar Monastery- Pin Valley- Kaza
Day5- Kaza- Kunzum La- Rohtang Pass- Manali- Kullu
Day6- Kullu- Ambala- Delhi
This blog was originally published on Let's Expresso by Tanya Sachdev.
Frequent Searches Leading To This Page:-
spiti valley by own car, spiti valley car tour, delhi to spiti valley by car cost, spiti valley by road, can we go to spiti valley by car