Average Annual Rainfall: 3000-3800 mm
Flora: Dipterocarpus griffithii, D. turbinatus, Sideroxylon longipetiolatum, Hopea odorata & Endospermum malaccense.
No. of mammals – 62 (32 are endemic)
Majorly Dugongs, Dolphins, Spotted deer & Jaguars.
No. of aves – 246 (99 are endemic)
Majorly Andaman Teal, Megapode, Andaman woodpecker, Andaman Drongo, Andaman Treepie, Andaman Cuckoo-Dove, Andaman Wood Pigeon, Andaman Serpent-Eagle and Andaman Scops Owl.
No. of reptiles – 76 (24 are endemic)
Majorly Leatherback turtles, Water Monitor Lizards, Reticulate Pythons, Bearded dragons and Vinesnakes.
No. of aquatic species – 2729
Majorly Boomerang corals, Boulder corals, Crocodiles & Crabs
Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Port Blair
Mount Harriet National Park
Campbell Bay National Park
Saddle Peak National Park
Havelock & Neill Islands
1. They are habitats to 50% of the flora and fauna on the planet
2. They're also home to about 50 million indigenous people.
3. Only 1 % of the light that strikes the top of the forest canopies, finds its way to the forest floor.
4. Trees are so densely tangled that it takes approximately 10 minutes for the raindrops to hit the ground.
5. The massive bamboo plants grow nine inches everyday
6. There are vines as thick as a man's thigh.
7. 1 out of 4 ingredients in our medicines, stem from Rainforest plants.
8. 70% of the plants are medicinal in nature.
9. Without Rainforests, there would be no chocolate.
10. Most importantly, industrialization is destroying rainforests at an alarming rate. If the lungs of our planet suffer, we all do. So perhaps, it's time for us to take a step back because the best way to preserve nature is by not trying to.
Frequent Searches Leading To This Page:-
rainforest in india name, rainforest in assam, list of rainforest in assam, tropical rainforest in assam, characteristics of rainforest in assam