As coronavirus crisis deepens in the national capital with daily cases crossing 10,000 mark every day, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on April 15 announced new restrictions to curb COVID-19 spread. The CM imposed a weekend curfew in the national capital while announcing that malls, restaurants, gyms and auditoriums will remain shut till further orders.
Cinema theatres, however, will be allowed to operate with a third of the capacity. With 17,282 fresh coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the city recorded its biggest daily increase in new cases.
"I had a meeting with L-G. We have decided to impose weekend curfew in Delhi. This is because people generally go out for work on weekdays and entertainment on weekends. So to break the chain we are imposing a weekend curfew, exempting essential services," the Chief Minister said in a televised press conference shortly after a meeting with Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal and other top officials.
New COVID-19 restrictions in Delhi
1. Only essential services are allowed to operate
2. Gyms, pools, malls to be closed
3. All restaurants to remain shut, only take-aways allowed
4. Curfew passes required for marriages and other permitted activities
5. Cinema halls allowed at 30% capacity
6. 1 weekly market allowed per day per zone
7. Private offices will be directed to ensure that employees work from home.
8. MCD zonal commissioners will be responsible for ensuring social distancing and Covid-19 testing.
"We need to do something urgently to control the spike in Covid cases. For this, we have taken a decision that there will be a weekend curfew in Delhi. However, let me make it clear, that essential services will be allowed, and people who are getting married will be issued special passes," Delhi CM said.
Meanwhile, the number of new coronavirus cases in India hit a record daily high with over 2 lakh new infections in 24 hours, while the active cases surpassed the 14- lakh mark, according to the Union Health Ministry data. With the new cases, the total tally of COVID-19 cases in the country rose to 1,40,74,564.
What are your most memorable travel experiences? Share your adventures with Tripoto community here.