This was the last day in Leh, so shopping of local products is a must and plan to cover any monument/monestary or a repeat to peaceful Shanti Stupa comes handy.
As we had already seen majority places in Leh on our first two days so we covered Thiksey monestary, ate at Tibetan Kitchen, shopped apricots, churpe (sweet protein rich cheese based Leh product used in Thukpas and can be munched just like that), yak cheese (there are just 3 manufacturers of Yam cheese in Leh, so not too easy to find) available at Gesmo restaurant.
Cafe lovers should visit Changspe Road after shopping, eating & exploring Old Fort road the main Leh market.
Now, regarding the stay - hotels available in Leh are cheap enough & advise would be to choose something a bit away from the main city hush hush like a Maiyetri Ladakh because cleanliness is something not easily available in all hotels. If you are looking for a resort type property then choose Saboo Residency which is again out of Leh city (not too far) in the Saboo village. We stayed at Nature Residency on Spituk road in Cholgsmar village. The property is huge but the service needs to get polished up, but the manager there is quite helpful & will help arrange local stuff for you.
Please note- as the covid tension is here to stay hence RT PCR should be scheduled before hand in Leh, sample collection is available only till 12noon at Govt hospital or outside the indoor stadium of Leh.
There is so much to explore & witness that even if you are not on a road trip to Ladakh, still you would require minimum 10days to explore Monasteries at Leh city, Cafes at Changspa, Shopping & Eating at Old Fort road, chilling at Leh cafe. Then exploring Nubra valley by staying at Hunder, visiting Monastery at Diksit, going till the end of India at TurTuk village. Driving up to Pangong, picnicking in Tangste valley, chilling in Snow at Chang La pass and at Khardung La pass. If you have more days then visit Kargil, Alchi & Lamayuru to see more of Ladakh.
1. Be ready for every weather in Ladakh.
2. 5hrs one way for a destination in a car / tempo traveller is inevitable.
3. Be prepared for restaurants to deliver food on your table within atleast 30mins after placing the order, that's the same in all mountain areas.
4. Believe the reviews filled in for your stays as what is shown by the property on search engines is not always genuine.
5. Travelling by air, the flight duration to Leh might get extended or expect a delayed departure from Leh. As aircrafts are using the army base for the commercial flights and with extra traffic & smaller airport at Leh, delays are bound to happen.
6. Carry your own liquor. There isn't liqour available at Leh, there are only two wine shops in the area & not always open.
7. While climbing the stairs or doing an extreme physical activity, you might feel change in breathing pattern due to less oxygen level & high air pressure, nothing to worry just inhale & exhale & stay positive.
8. Eat Ladakhi Food, which will not be available at your hotel stays. You can visit Leh restaurants to enjoy Shaptik(mutton) with Tingmo, Shabablag, Kothe (shallow fried) momos, Mint tea, Thupka, Chuktali, Yak cheese pizza, etc. at Tibetan Kitchen or Gesmo or explore other restaurants in leh city.
Do explore this COLD DESERT to have an experience of a lifetime.